Question for the Case experts

J Hamilton

I know in 1941 there was a short production of the model SC with center exhaust, smooth block, ribbed block...etc. My question is, were any of the standard S tractors equipped with center exhaust? I have never seen or heard of one and was curious.

I had never seen or heard of the center exhaust SC's until a couple years ago when I was helping a neighbor's family with his collection. He had several Case tractors one of which was a center exhaust SC. I posted pics of it on here and someone from northern Minnesota bought it. I can't offer any insight on the standard S series though, it would be interesting to know that info.

Gene

(quoted from post at 20:50:27 11/28/23) I had never seen or heard of the center exhaust SC's until a couple years ago when I was helping a neighbor's family with his collection. He had several Case tractors one of which was a center exhaust SC. I posted pics of it on here and someone from northern Minnesota bought it. I can't offer any insight on the standard S series though, it would be interesting to know that info.

Gene

Ken Kizzle is the resident expert on the center exhaust SC. He should be along shortly. CM

Yes, there were some S models built with center exhaust. I had Joan over at the Case Archives do a little research for me. Case 1941 model year started at 4500001, and the last center exhaust SC was 4503029. Unfortunately, the way Case numbered their tractors was sequential not by model, but by the next tractor off the line. So, the L, D, and S series all came off the same serial runs (this is what I was told years ago). My guess is they would build them in batches. Between 4500001 and 4503029, there were 2388 SC's produced. So, that leaves 640 tractors in that run that were not SC's. Some could have been S, D or V series. Seeing as this was the S-series first model year (a new model offering), I wouldn't think it was strange that Case concentrated their efforts on building a large batch of S-Series tractors in comparison to D and L series (the market already had a number of them out on dealer lots already)...

Now, I SHOULD have had Joan keep a tally of the total number of S and SC tractors that were produced in this run. I did ask some months later but she has yet to get back to me (it's a lot of work going through 3,030 build cards)... But, I would venture to say there were 640 or less S tractors that COULD have been produced. These would have been equipped with center exhaust. I know that Don Livingston has AT LEAST one center exhaust S.. I have seen a couple out of New Zealand/Australia as well.

Now, if you want to complicate things even further, try to identify how many smooth block tractors were built. Case did a running production change, most likely, so tracking that number would be FAR more difficult.

I have been keeping a registry for 1941 S/SC's for about 15-20 years now in an attempt to see how many center exhaust tractors are left. So far, I am under 200.
cvphoto167642.jpg

cvphoto167643.jpg

cvphoto167644.jpg

cvphoto167645.jpg

cvphoto167646.jpg

cvphoto167647.jpg

cvphoto167648.jpg

cvphoto167649.jpg

Wow! Thank you for that info. I knew not many center exhaust SC tractors were left. I missed my chance to get one at an auction a few years ago, it sold for $775 complete, loose but not running with decent rubber. I wish I could have bought it. I had already spent all of my tractor fund money just a couple months earlier at another auction, but I couldn't pass on the once in a lifetime chance to get a Case crossmotor.

I think some of those pics are S E X models, as they are model S for EXport. Look to be some foreign flags. I hope this does not get poofed as this is legit. Bill

That someone was me :) With a little work to the magneto, and a good carburetor cleaning, its now running good!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back