Question on Farmall 300

300guy

What dos everyone think about pulling a 13 foot JD BW tandem disk with the 300? Think it would have enough power???? It does have the adjustable angle of the disk gangs on it. I've never tried pulling this type of disk with a 300.

What dos everyone think about pulling a 13 foot JD BW tandem disk with the 300? Think it would have enough power???? It does have the adjustable angle of the disk gangs on it. I've never tried pulling this type of disk with a 300.
Too much. unless the disc is set to doo very little work. an 8 foot is a real good match. Jim

If cheap enough and you have the ability buy it. Then cut it down to 8 to 8.5 feet. That is all you would be able to handle here in cullman al with a 300.

If cheap enough and you have the ability buy it. Then cut it down to 8 to 8.5 feet. That is all you would be able to handle here in cullman al with a 300.
Meant to say the ability to cut it down yourself

If you go in a plowed field and put it to a depth to really make the disc do what it should you will be done. Are the tires loaded? If not you need a stack of 4 or 5 wheel weights on each rear tire. Discing in more firm conditions you might get by. Keep in mind 3rd gear in lo TA is geared slower than 2nd direct. To pull that disc you will probably be in 1st or 2nd lo side TA which is barely crawling. This may be a no-no to some but we did a lot of farming with those mechanical TA tractors running in lo side TA. We had a gas 656 and a 3 point mounted 3-16 Oliver plow for it. The majority of the time that plow was in the ground behind it you were in 3rd TA in the low side. Second gear direct was just enough faster it generally would not pull it in that gear in our soils. Which reminds me when Grandpa got the 300 new the rear wheels were pulled off cast center and all. Laid down with the dish down like a bowl. The holes in the cast spokes were covered with cardboard with boards under it. A steel band was made to fit in the rim. Then they were fill with cement for weight. The same was done with the 656. That is partly why our 300 would pull so good, but ya it was pretty hard on the final drives as well. Essentially that is to big of a disc for a 300.

I pull an 8' 370 IH with a IHC 454 utility tractor. Traction is the limit. I cut it down from a 12'. I pulled a 10' with my '52 H with a super kit, same as a 300 engine. Lot more traction. 13' would be a big load but you can carry part of the weight on the wheels if it wants to dig in too much and set the gangs more straight. May need more passes to get it fitted right....James

We used to pull one of those old Deere disks that the tongue was the depth setting by holes in the tongue and a spring loaded pin in them. We pulled it with a Massey Harris 44 about half way back on the tongue and would do pretty good with it. they were about 50-55 HP had I think 13.6-38's on it. No weights maybe loaded tires. IT was over 50 years ago and I was a king disking at that age with it while grandpa was plowing the last bit of the field. I was about 7-10 at the time.

Yeah that's what thought but finding one of those is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Could you cut the 13 footer down and make a smaller disk? I have a JD 9 foot and it will make my 300 snort pretty good in soft ground. I'd hate to have to go any bigger, but I don't have any extra weight on the tractor either so that might make a difference.

Mac

It's going to be too much of a load for it. My son has a 10.5 ft King disk with 9" blade spacing that he occasionally pulls with his 300. On hard ground and 1st cutting, it does ok in 3rd direct. Being his 300 doesn't have TA, after that he has to switch to his 8 ft Case to do any good as it can be a load for it when working well prepared places. You might could pull it somewhat satisfactorily if it could be had reasonably, and take enough blades off to narrow it up to 8 or 9 ft.

We pulled a 13' with a 656D in high third in Sandy-Lome and it would handle it well enough, but we had about 65 horses. Your 300 would be much lighter and have about 35 hp. You would be better off with about 7 to 8-feet.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back