Questions re: Ford 800 Series for 1st tractor

I agree with the post about the 1000 series. A 2000, 3000, or 4000 would be what I would look for. Power steering and live PTO. I would shy away from SOS models because of parts availibility.

I learned to drive a tractor on a 8N but grew up (1962-1980)on a 850 and have a lot of fond memories of operating that tractor, but I don t own one today
The 800/801 series had plenty of power for their size but are a bit light in the front, not in build but actual weight. I had the front tires on dads 850 off the ground hundreds of times and one time to the point of nearly tipping over backwards
We wished a thousand times it had live pto like the 860/861 models had
The 660/661 are good little tractors with smaller engines and less pto hp in the same size chassis, I ve never seen a tractor owner say they wished their tractor had less hp.
For overall use the 65/later 3 cylinder Fords are a better choice, live pto is a no brainer to me. Not only will it keep a brush hog from pushing the tractor through a fence but it lets you spin up that mower, baler, tiller before the tractor starts moving
The 3 cylinders 8 spd trans has a much slower 1st gear that s needed for tilling and power steering is more common on those models
I m not fond of the 3 cylinders gas engine and would much rather had a diesel, but that s just my opinion since I own 4 of those 3 cylinder tractors. I can see in areas farther north than me were a gas tractor would be more desirable for cold weather starts

If you can work it into your budget look at the later 3 cylinder Fords, they have more to offer and have a good aftermarket parts support

This post was edited by Destroked 450 on 01/27/2023 at 07:40 am.

(quoted from post at 05:53:54 01/27/23)
(quoted from post at 23:35:04 01/26/23) I don't see that anybody has explicitly said this, but the tractor with a 5spd and live PTO would not be an 860, but rather an 861. Just make sure when you make your purchase, you have the model correctly identified and that you've tested it. Live PTO means that horizontal transmission motion has stopped, but the PTO continues to operate.

The 860 is a 5 spd with live PTO. I just replaced the 2 stage clutch disk in mine. I also have a 851 with 2 stage clutch. both are great tractors, I run a 5ft Howard tiller with my 860, but I have an industrial 172 engine in it. I also pull 6 ft bush hog (rotary mower).

Sean, that first paragraph about the 860 not having 5sp and live PTO is not my statement IT IS in quotation marks"""it belongs to Colin King
I have a 860 with 5sp and live PTO also a 851 with 5spd and live PTO. I have discuss this on the form couple of months ago. The 851 is stamped on transmission housing as 851, what was determined that it was either special ordered from Ford or that it was miss stamped. BUT it is stamped an 851 w/live PTO..

THANKS
Keith

sean, I will answer you here on classic form also
The first paragraph in my response is not mine, it is from Colin Kings post IT IS IN quotation marks:

I have a 860 w/live PTO and 5 spd, also a 851 w/ live PTO and 5 spd, this was discussed on the Ford forum couple months ago, was determined it was either special order from Ford or was miss stamped at the factory. It can't be trans swap as it is stamped on transmission housing as 851. And I really don't think someone is going to go to all the expense and time to swap all the gears out of a 861 or 860 trans into a 851 trans housing, just my opinion.

Thanks
Keith

(quoted from post at 13:23:40 01/27/23) sean, I will answer you here on classic form also
The first paragraph in my response is not mine, it is from Colin Kings post IT IS IN quotation marks:
Keith

I saw no quotation marks. I just went back and checked and I still see no quotation marks.

Well I put quotation marks when I posted.
If you would have read Colin Kings response, you would have known it was his.

Why would I say that 860 did not have 5spd and live PTO, when I have owned a 860 for 21 years. I seem to write that I just finished installing 2 stage clutch disk in my 860..hhhhmmm I wonder how many people do not read the whole thread..

Thanks Keith

I am not a mind reader and my crystal ball is out for repairs, nor do I spend time memorizing which tractor models all of the members here have.

I sure wish this post would have shown up next spring! I have 2 801's - a 5 speed w/live pto & an SOS. Both should be ready for sale then!

I started with an 8N, put a loader on it, and well - it did ok. But, just ok, it was not robust, it was not enough power, it was hard to turn, it was hard to get the PTO going and the tractor moving. Just too much limitation that I had to deal with.

I moved up to an 860 with PS. 5 gears, live PTO, plenty of power, PS so the front bucket is easy to handle. This is my go-to tractor for a million jobs. And yes, I have moved snow with the front bucket. May not be ideal again, and a blade with slant would be better, but the bucket will dump snow anywhere I tell it to.

Look for an 850 or 860 with optional PS. Mount a bucket on it. Find one with good tires, and except for muddy conditions it'll likely do all the jobs you need without complaint.

I now have a 961 also with a loader. While this is more of a farm tractor with the big reduction geared hubs, and more HP, the added power isn't really useful even with good tires. The 860 is the sweet spot for a lot of jobs, and is sooooooo much easier than those jobs using an 8N.

This post was edited by docmirror on 01/27/2023 at 08:03 pm.

Couple more things. The advice to check the rear rims is important. I had to grind out the rim on my tractor where the fluid from the filler chewed and etched away metal. I ground it out, fitted a 11Ga piece of metal, drilled a hole, and welded it back in the rim which was a fair amount of work. If you see rust and stains around the stem, you may need to repair a rim.

I don't plow, but I do use the draft mode on the 3pt. Mine may be adjusted a bit wrong, but the draft on the 860 will rise with even the slightest pressure on the top link. The position control can be all the way down, and if I get a bit of kick on the 3pt the draft will get the implement rising very quick and very far. Again, mine may be adjusted a bit wrong, but it's got me to stop using draft mode for some jobs.

Draft is sensitive on those tractors but it sounds like yours needs adjusted
Adjusting the tension on the big spring will effect how quick the draft responds
The top links position also effects draft
For tillage mount the top link in the bottom hole

Always lot of confusion with the 00 and 01 series tractors. The Hundreds(00s) were built between about 1955 and 1957 whereas the Hundreds&1(01s) were built between about 1958 and 1962. Then add the industrials both light (2030,4030) and heavy duty (1801,4040.4140) into that mix and it can be very confusion to say the least.
The 6/7/8/900 s Series
Models
First number
6** - Four-wheel utility type with adjustable front axle, 134 ci gas or LP-gas engine
7** - High clearance row crop with134 ci gas or LP-gas engine
8** - Four wheel utility type with adjustable front axle, 172 ci gas or LP-gas engine
9** - High clearance row crop type, 172 ci gas or LP-gas engine
Second number
*2* - Four speed transmission, no PTO or 3-point lift
*3* - Four speed transmission, no PTO
*4* - Four speed transmission with PTO and 3-point lift
*5* - Five speed transmission with 3-point lift and non-live PTO
*6* - Five speed transmission with 3-point lift and live PTO
Third number
**0 - Hundred series, '55 - '57
The 6/7/8/901 s Series
Models

First number
5** - One row offset tractor with134 ci gas, LP-gas or 144 ci diesel engine
6** - Four-wheel utility type with adjustable front axle, 134 ci gas, LP-gas or 144 ci diesel engine
7** - High clearance row crop with134 ci gas, LP-gas or 144 ci diesel engine
8** - Four-wheel utility type with adjustable front axle, 172 ci gas, LP-gas or 172 ci diesel engine
9** - High clearance row crop type, 172 ci gas, LP-gas or 172 ci diesel engine
Second number
*1* - Select-O-Speed transmission, no PTO (after 1/1959)
*2* - Four speed transmission, no PTO or 3-point lift
*3* - Four speed transmission, no PTO
*4* - Four speed transmission with PTO and 3 point lift
*5* - Five speed transmission with 3 point lift and non-live PTO
*6* - Five speed transmission with 3-point lift and live PTO
*7* - Select-O-Speed transmission with single speed PTO and 3-point lift (after 1/1959)
*8* - Select-O-Speed transmission with dual and ground speed PTO and 3-point lift (after 1/1959)
Third number
**1 - "01" series '57 - '62

I will catch grief on this next statement, however I have had a select-o-speed for about 20 years now and it is my tractor of choice, I also have 4 & 5 speed tractors. Most often then not it will come down to what is available for sale in your area. If it was 1959, then I would say these are the ones you would want to order! So, my advice is why stop at one? The 01 series had increased horsepower, higher compression ratio, a bigger fuel tank and power steering is more common than the 00 s plus Diesel and the Select-O-Speed were options. On the other side of that is that most parts interchange between the 00 and 01 and early thousands series.

(quoted from post at 16:10:59 01/27/23) I sure wish this post would have shown up next spring! I have 2 801's - a 5 speed w/live pto & an SOS. Both should be ready for sale then!

If you happen to be in or around Mid-MO I might be interested; I did not end up buying the auction 840. It sold for a fair price but included a finish mower which, while nice to have wasn't really on my wish list and drove up the price a bit. So the search continues! Power steering on an 800 series seems to be a bit of a unicorn around here but one may pop up, and I'm not in a huge hurry. There is a 4000 high crop diesel with bad rear rims for what sounds like a good price ($2200) nearby that is a little intriguing, but it looks pretty rough overall in addition to the bad rims. Lots to think about!

(quoted from post at 08:38:50 01/29/23)
(quoted from post at 16:10:59 01/27/23) I sure wish this post would have shown up next spring! I have 2 801's - a 5 speed w/live pto & an SOS. Both should be ready for sale then!

If you happen to be in or around Mid-MO I might be interested; I did not end up buying the auction 840. It sold for a fair price but included a finish mower which, while nice to have wasn't really on my wish list and drove up the price a bit. So the search continues! Power steering on an 800 series seems to be a bit of a unicorn around here but one may pop up, and I'm not in a huge hurry. There is a 4000 high crop diesel with bad rear rims for what sounds like a good price ($2200) nearby that is a little intriguing, but it looks pretty rough overall in addition to the bad rims. Lots to think about!

It is highly unlikely that the 4000 is a high crop. They are extremely rare. Most likely it is a row crop model. Also bear in mind when referring to a 4000 that it could be either one of two different tractors, a four cylinder or a three cylinder. They are nearly totally different.

OK, just got off the phone with someone who has a gas 3000 with power steering, live PTO and an 8-speed transmission. Rear rims have surface rust but seller says they're fine overall and I tend to believe him.

I'm likely headed to look at it, as it checks pretty much all the boxes except for a loader; is there anything obvious that I should look for?

(quoted from post at 07:00:50 01/31/23) OK, just got off the phone with someone who has a gas 3000 with power steering, live PTO and an 8-speed transmission. Rear rims have surface rust but seller says they're fine overall and I tend to believe him.

I'm likely headed to look at it, as it checks pretty much all the boxes except for a loader; is there anything obvious that I should look for?

Look for how it starts COLD and what the oil pressure is COLD vs. hot. Take your compression gauge and check compression. plug your vacuum gauge in as well. It can tell you about the valves as well as other things.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back