Radiator Mount

baddog8it

New User
I have just removed and reinstalled the gas tank on my '59 641 tractor after having replaced the gas valve. Problem is, not really sure how it goes back together - at least as far as to how it interfaces with the radiator.

I've done some googling, and am not finding anything.

They way it was I'm pretty confident is not the correct way. It had a piece of cut up tire inner tube to act as a buffer between the top radiator 'pan' and the gas tank. Then there was a piece of chain stretched between the left side radiator frame and the left front gas tank bracketry - there was a turnbuckle in this assembly to take up any slack.

It certainly does not look like the factory design. Without the chain, the only thing that I see is holding the top of the radiator in place is the top radiator hose.

Can anyone provide any insight?

This post was edited by baddog8it on 07/16/2023 at 07:44 pm.

I think it would take 2-3 pieces of inner tube to make up the thickness of the original rubber pad
The 2 bottom mounting bolts holds the radiator in place, the top hose does help support it but should not be pushing it forward or pulling back on it
The fuel tank shouldn t be touching the radiator nor should they be secured to each other

There are four rubber pads that isolate the radiator from the rest of the tractor. Two are under the radiator at the mounting studs, and the other two fit between the radiator tank and the hood. The lower pads are YT part number <a href=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-601_Radiator-Mounting-Pads-Pack-of-2_180705M1.html>109978</a>, while the upper pads are YT part number <a href=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-601_Bumper-Side-Panel-To-Hood_NAA88131B.html>178076</a>. The upper pads need to be glued to the hood with a strong weatherstrip adhesive. The upper pads have a groove in them that fits on the ridge formed where the upper hood mates with the lower hood 'dog leg'.

After I re-installed my radiator with new pads, I found the fuel tank was contacting the radiator tank. Someone here pointed out that there are supposed to be rubber washers under the gas tank and if they're missing the two tanks won't have any clearance. Sure enough, they were gone. I found some thick plastic washers to put under the front tank mounts and that fixed the problem.

As Mark posted no rubber buffer, no chain no turnbuckle, just a rubber washer or two between the tank and its support.

My 860 has two rubber pads on the studs under the radiator. At the top the rubber hose is all that holds it. Of course it is 67 years old, so something could be missing, but I have known this tractor for near 50 years so I think this is how it was made.

John

> My 860 has two rubber pads on the studs under the radiator. At the top the rubber hose is all that holds it. Of course it is 67 years old, so something could be missing, but I have known this tractor for near 50 years so I think this is how it was made.

The rubber pads between the top pad and hood typically fall out. The next time you have the hood off, purchase replacements from YT or Steiner and glue them to the hood.

I do think the upper radiator hose helps support the radiator.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back