ratchet parts

caterpillar guy

Is there a place or way to get parts for ratchets that no longer have parts available for them. I have a John Deere ratchet the local dealer gave me that just needs the flipper fixed for it to work both directions he tells me parts are no longer available for it. He also gave me a 1/4 inch drive one that just spins have not got that apart yet to see what it needs. The first one is a half inch one. Part number for each is PT20986 1/2 inch and 1/4 is PT20970. Thought maybe someone had gotten parts and might sill have some of the old parts around. OR there is a place to get generic parts for them.

Is there a place or way to get parts for ratchets that no longer have parts available for them. I have a John Deere ratchet the local dealer gave me that just needs the flipper fixed for it to work both directions he tells me parts are no longer available for it. He also gave me a 1/4 inch drive one that just spins have not got that apart yet to see what it needs. The first one is a half inch one. Part number for each is PT20986 1/2 inch and 1/4 is PT20970. Thought maybe someone had gotten parts and might sill have some of the old parts around. OR there is a place to get generic parts for them.
My only thought is if you can figure out who made the ratchet for Deere, then contact the manufacturer to see if they have parts, if they are still in business.

Also, you may get lucky and spot one at a flea market that you can cannibalize for the parts you need.

Deere never made their own hand tools (for the most part) but instead rebadged others. They usually only put their name on quality stuff: I would Google some pictures of ratchets in the same era from other ratchet manufacturers (Stanley, Snap-On, Mac, S-K, etc.). I'll bet one of them will match up, and you can then buy the appropriate repair parts for the original brand.

According to one source they had Stanley making them like the ones I got. Talked to stanley and since it is not a Stanley they will not sell me parts and they don't have parts they just swap out the complete wrench . So That lets Stanley out. All I need is the flipper lever to switch directions. If the place MJMJ linked to doesn't work then I'm going to try some sort of epoxy or JB weld on it after filing a notch in the top so a wire or something could be bonded to it.

Last edited:
I sent an email to the link posted by MJMJ we will see what becomes of it. They look to be more along the line of an air ratchet repair facility than for hand ratchets.

According to one source they had Stanley making them like the ones I got. Talked to stanley and since it is not a Stanley they will not seel me parts and they don't have parts they just swap out the complete wrench . So That lets Stanley out. All I need is the flipper lever to switch directions. If the place MJMJ linked to doesn't work then I'm going to try some sort of epoxy or JB weld on it after filing a notch in the top so a wire or something could be bonded to it.
If you can figure out the Stanley model just Google it and see what happens. I was able to find parts for a couple SK rachets that I had laying around broken for years . Plenty of responses when I try that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-064555.png
    Screenshot_20240508-064555.png
    503.3 KB · Views: 20
problem solved for the 1/4 inch the pin to the dog for switching was stuck got it loose and now works. The 1/2 I'm going to attempt an epoxy or JBWeld with a short piece of a welding rod but for the switch lever on it. Now that they are both cleaned and oiled up they work fine once the new lever is attached.

SMS those are old Proto ratchets if you go to their website you can get those under warranty from them .Yes they are owned by Stanley, yet still have parts and so does S-K ratchets. I got parts to fix a 3/8 one this winter. Got a Stanely ratchet replaced also from Stanley. Getting plenty of ratchets in 1/4 and 1/2 need a couple more in 3/8ths now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back