Re: IH 300 U

Janicholson

Good find. The pits on the splines will not bother action unless they are so severe they snag the discs. The discs travel less than .020 in use.
The best advice I can give includes 2 things: The ramps where the balls reside must be smooth on their bottom trough. dips or lumps will cause locking and un even application. Before putting the components on the tractor, lay the housing face up on some blocking so it is steady (the little cap sticks out). Put a new disc into the housing and center it. Place the assembled expander in place where it should be (linkage pointing to the rod hole). place the last disc on this, centering it on the expander. now use a straight edge across the housing over the assembly and use a feeler gauge (multiple blades are needed) to measure the gap. The housing wears, as do the expander surfaces, and the pinion carrier flange on the tractor. You are measuring the this wear, plus the running free space when the brakes are not applied. The gap should be between .035 and .050 inches. If more, the action of the brakes will be compromised and likely unreliable. The fix is to have the housing milled down the amount needed to get into this range. Putting money into this for new discs and the time/effort involved, is worth making them act like new, not being disappointed. These seem simple and easily understood. They are not the best brakes in the industry, and require cleaning and a look/see every year if used as a main tractor, or at least thought of as they start to get grabby or weak. Jim

Jim thanks for the reply.
The splines are snagging the original outer discs, and the inner splines are worse. The inner discs were stuck on the inner brake plate/bearing retainer on both left and right hand brake units.
I will post a picture so you have a better idea of the condition.

Edit: I had stacked outer disk, actuating discs, and inner disc in housing with straight edge and was above the housing! I'm wondering if the brake discs are swelled up, or if the actuating discs need to be machined down/replaced. They have a thick glaze finish to them.
The balls are 7/8", I checked to be sure as I read somewhere about 1" balls being used to make up for wear.

This post was edited by Little Fred on 12/05/2022 at 01:48 am.

The expander must be in its collapsed position. All three balls deep into the grooves, and springs lined up across from each other. I have never seen swelled up friction material from any cause. Jim

I thimk he was discussing how you could get a crank in the engine crankshaft if you could fit between the loader and the grill. Maybe. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back