Remanufactured 40 Starter DOA?

LandonT

Bought a remanufactured starter for the 40U.
Yes, it is running 12V Negative Ground, though the starter is designed for 6V.

Even got a new 12V battery.
Absolutely no response through the switch or directly contacting the positive cable to the starter terminal after removing the switch.

Any recommendations before I send this back?

Thanks, Landon

Just another step. Take a set of jumper cables and connect the battery ground to the starter case and positive side to the starter post. What you are checking by this is the starter has a good ground.

Six volt starter should work just fine 12 volt battery. My Case dc 3 has been set up this way for 60 years.

Thanks, all, i tried the jumper cables approach from my pickup. Not a peep.
Just confirming. Have a good night.

I'm assuming your starter still has the saddle switch on top of it. If so, this is likely the problem as it sounds like there is not a good contact connection between the raised lug protruding out of the starter case and the lug inside the switch. The lug inside the switch can spin out of alignment while retightening the hot post wires, or....the starter lug itself is burnt down enough that contact is not made period. Both instances will present itself as no action at all happening when you try to activate the starter. As far as it being converted to 12v, you will be fine as I changed my 420 S over years ago with no ill effects on the starter. Hope this helps.

Remove the rear band cover and see if one of the hot brush wires (connected to the field coils) are touching the outer case. If yes the starter will do nothing because its grounded. Also, one the thew threw bolts may be touching the field coil leads near the field stud under the switch inside the starter.

(quoted from post at 15:58:31 12/14/23) Remove the rear band cover and see if one of the hot brush wires (connected to the field coils) are touching the outer case. If yes the starter will do nothing because its grounded. Also, one the thew threw bolts may be touching the field coil leads near the field stud under the switch inside the starter.

Best not to open up a new/rebuilt starter without contacting the vendor first.

It been over a week since he last posted about this, and he hasn't come back with anything since the 5th, so who knows if it's still dead or fixed.

Thanks, all, I returned the new starter and took the old one to a reputable shop in the area. They found that it needed a new armature within hours, and had parts on hand!
Upon replacing it, added a new 0 guage lead to the starter and cleaned up the ground connection. Once that was done, It fired right off.
I mowed a few acres. Glad we're back in business. And yes, I lost one of the screws that holds the switch to the starter. It is not a 10-24.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back