Replacing posts across a barbed wire fence-pounder or au

ILhay

New User
I have a pasture in a brushy area and need to replace some rotten oak posts but I cant drive my tractor onto my neighbor's property to get to it from the "outside" (neighbor's property is full of heavy brush but my side is fairly clear). I really don't want to take the 1/4 mile of 4 strand barbed wire down to "start from scratch". I'd rather "reach" over the fence with an implement mounted to my loader and replace 10-20 posts per year as they rot off.

I am considering a hydraulic auger mounted to the loader or buy a shaver HD8 post pounder and mount it to the loader. In both cases, I would stay in my pasture and lift the implement over the fence. I know I would need to use a 5 ft long pipe and come along to "pull"/deflect the 4 strands inward slightly so that they didn't get wrapped up in the auger or interfere with the pounder.

Anyone ever replaced posts by "reaching over" a barbed wire fence? I know a 3 point post hole digger can cut through 2 inch brush roots pretty easy, but will a pounder be able to break/push through them? I will be setting 3-7 inch diameter hedge posts about 3 feet deep. I have quite a few posts available so I should have at least 40 of them that are fairly straight.

Loader mounted auger, pounder or some other method? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you unstaple it for several posts the wire will allow you to push it down enough to put a post in with a digger. For crossing if no gate then just pull a few posts and lay them down and drive over it to get in. Works better on a hill top. Don't know anything about a pounder.

I dont see any problem with your solution. Since I dont know whatt you have for a loader,or skid steer,cant help you there. But I would think either one would do just fine.

With a post hole auger you will need to tamp dirt back down into the hole all the way around the posts. That gets to be difficult from only one side of a fence. Would an above ground swimming pool ladder make it easier to climb from one side of the fence to the other?

For temporary repairs, steel T posts would be much easier to install from one side than wooden posts.

If this is a property line fence are both you and your neighbor responsible for only one half of the fence? State laws vary a lot on that.

You know could just buy some metal posts and pound them in by hand. I have a lot of fencing and thats what I do when I need to
replace one. Really easy with barb wire.

Good point cat guy- removing the steeples on the posts on either side might even enable me to use my 3 point digger auger.

I hesitate to use steel posts since I do use this section of the pasture to separate the cows from their calves at weaning time and I fear that the cows might try to find a way around/through the fence to get to their calves. During this time, there will be a fair amount of "pressure" on the fence and I wouldn't want any cows to push through/bend an steel post (although adding a 12 volt fence charger and temporary electric fence might take care of that issue).

This post was edited by ILhay on 07/18/2022 at 05:00 am.

Just put a gate in, you would be surprised how handy it is. Doubt pounder would be much good on a loader.

(quoted from post at 05:25:20 07/19/22) Just put a gate in, you would be surprised how handy it is. Doubt pounder would be much good on a loader.

What does a gate accomplish? He still can't go on the neighbor's property.

Post pounders are mounted on loaders all the time and they work just fine.

If you're spending money, make sure you spend enough on fence maintenance equipment to keep up with your fence building equipment.

Installing fence is easy.

Keeping brush out of it? That takes more time per linear foot than installation, if you don't keep up with it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back