Replacing upper gear set in transmission

Coby

New User
The main gear for 2nd on the upper gearset has two teeth that are chipped on my 8n. Can I replace this gearset without splitting the tractor into 3rds?

I've researched it and seen varying answers. Some say you can replace the gears without splitting, others say it has to be split in 3, while others have said it can be accomplished by only splitting one side or by "loosening it up" but not fully splitting.

What's your opinion?

When I did my NAA I had it split in three parts. Of course, I was rebuilding my engine and it was already on the stand.

My recommendation it to purchase an I&T FO-4 service manual and it will go step by step on what you need to do - with pics. As a bonus it covers all othe service aspects of your 8N and is a great resource. You can snag used ones on Ebay for about $10-$15.

Sorry I can't give you detailed info on possible short cuts.

For what it's worth, I found a chipped tooth on one gear in my 2N. It was that way when I got and still is today.

When I did my NAA I had it split in three parts. Of course, I was rebuilding my engine and it was already on the stand.

My recommendation it to purchase an I&T FO-4 service manual and it will go step by step on what you need to do - with pics. As a bonus it covers all othe service aspects of your 8N and is a great resource. You can snag used ones on Ebay for about $10-$15.

Sorry I can't give you detailed info on possible short cuts.
Thanks Dan,

I did find a cheap used FO-4 manual on Amazon last week, but haven't received it yet.

I have another manual I think it's the Ford manual and it only talks about replacing the gears as though you have the transmission already separated.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back