Roosa Master info

CRoosa

New User
Hi everyone:

My grandfather was Vernon Roosa, inventor of the Roosa Master injection pump. He died when I was very young so I don't have a lot of knowledge of the specifics other than things I've heard from my father.

I'm looking to learn more about this to carry on my grandfather's legacy as best I can, and maybe even someday own an operational antique tractor with a Roosa Master pump. Does anyone know what the smallest tractors were that were made with this pump?

I've always been good with my hands and I am half decent auto mechanic at a hobbyist level, but I don't have much knowledge of diesel and tractors in general aside from peeking at the ones I see at the county fair.

Any info would be helpful, or really I'd like to just open this thread up to any fun facts people know about the Roosa Master pump. I've heard a lot about the history from my father, but would love to hear more from folks who have worked with them. I always learn best from taking things apart. :)

Thanks!

You might want to post on the Ford site. The Ford hundred series used Roosa- Master Rotary injection pumps. Diesel Tech would be a good resource for you. I'm sure he has probably worked on more than I have ever seen.

Hi everyone:

My grandfather was Vernon Roosa, inventor of the Roosa Master injection pump. He died when I was very young so I don't have a lot of knowledge of the specifics other than things I've heard from my father.

I'm looking to learn more about this to carry on my grandfather's legacy as best I can, and maybe even someday own an operational antique tractor with a Roosa Master pump. Does anyone know what the smallest tractors were that were made with this pump?

I've always been good with my hands and I am half decent auto mechanic at a hobbyist level, but I don't have much knowledge of diesel and tractors in general aside from peeking at the ones I see at the county fair.

Any info would be helpful, or really I'd like to just open this thread up to any fun facts people know about the Roosa Master pump. I've heard a lot about the history from my father, but would love to hear more from folks who have worked with them. I always learn best from taking things apart. :)

Thanks!
I have a 1959/1957 Ford 901D with the Roosa Master pump. I use it on my hobby farm to pull the hay baler, and I take her to the county fair to show her off.

Attachments

• D72771B1-2515-4F9A-9206-629422C27EA1.jpeg
    D72771B1-2515-4F9A-9206-629422C27EA1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
Hi everyone:

Thanks!
Just a guess here to help you get started. The JD 350 dozer used a Roosa Master pump on a three cylinder engine. I imagine that's about the smallest you'll find. I'm sure that engine was used in a tractor, but those tractors were made in Europe, and were apt to have a CAV pump.

Just a guess here to help you get started. The JD 350 dozer used a Roosa Master pump on a three cylinder engine. I imagine that's about the smallest you'll find. I'm sure that engine was used in a tractor, but those tractors were made in Europe, and were apt to have a CAV pump.
The Dubuque built new generation Deeres used Roosa Master pumps.

Case 430, 530, and 630 diesel tractors used the Roosa Master injector pumps. the 188ci diesel engines used in these tractors continued to be used in combines, back hoes, skid steers and other equipment well into the 70's.

I'm sure your grandfather was a great man. I would like to ask him why he decided to use a plastic ring on the governor. It caused a lot of stress in my life. Finally at 67 I built up the nerve to fix one myself.
Ron

None of you have mentioned the Roosa Master model A pump which was the early version of the model D and DB pumps which you all are refering to.

Try to find info on your local a tique tractor club. I'm sure you would be welcome as a quest at one of the meetings especially with your last name. Usually very friendly folks with interesting conversations. You didn't say where you are located but I'm sure you could find a local club. Maybe ask at local auto parts stores, we shop there too. It would help you get into buying an antique tractor of your own. If you join a club annual dues are usually quite reasonable, maybe $20 to $25 a year in my area.
Dave

I worked in the JD shop in International Falls MN the winter of 1972, all the JD logging equipment had Roosa Master pumps. They worked fine as long as you had good fuel.

As far as the smallest tractor that used them, I'm not sure. Loads of tractors used them. As far as the smallest engine/pump that used them: I'm guessing one of the 3-cylidner Roosa's would be the smallest one they made. The Deere 820 and 920 used 3-cylinder Roosa masters. Maybe not as old or antique as other tractors, but if you're looking to buy a tractor with one, those little Mannheim Deere's are great little utility tractors.

See this link for a PDF explaining how they work and how they're constructed. This manual was printed by Stanadyne: Roosa master got merged/bought out by Stanadyne: https://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/Roosa_Master_DC_Series_Fuel_Injection_Pump_Manual.pdf

Great pumps (in my opinion). As mentioned, the plastic governor rings are a little irksome at times, but I'll take a Roosa-Master over a Bosch any day (some folks will disagree).

Great info, thanks all!
See this link for a PDF explaining how they work and how they're constructed. This manual was printed by Stanadyne: Roosa master got merged/bought out by Stanadyne: https://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/Roosa_Master_DC_Series_Fuel_Injection_Pump_Manual.pdf

Great pumps (in my opinion). As mentioned, the plastic governor rings are a little irksome at times, but I'll take a Roosa-Master over a Bosch any day (some folks will disagree).
Yes, Stanadyne was the company my grandfather partnered with to perfect the device (Hartford Machine & Screw at the time). That PDF is great, thanks!

I'm sure your grandfather was a great man. I would like to ask him why he decided to use a plastic ring on the governor. It caused a lot of stress in my life. Finally at 67 I built up the nerve to fix one myself.
Ron

I'll choose to blame HMS/Stanadyne for cheapening out on that. On behalf of the Roosa family, I apologize for the stress it caused you in your life. :)

Ron
I believe prior to the plastic ring, small coil springs were used. When/if they broke they destroyed the insides of the pump. The plastic, although annoying and causing cost to repair, doesn't total out the pump. Dieseltech is the guy you want to speak to.

Hello CRoosa welcome to YT! This may be terrible but I was a bit skeptical of how genuine this topic was. It just seemed like it could be some “goof” making a post trying squeeze some info out of the unsuspecting members of these forums. This reply by you has convinced me you are the real deal.(If you are not l’m a sucker) I have replaced a few of those deteriorated governor weight cushion rings myself, never really looked to blame anyone for it. When you work on mechanical things you soon learn that you can maintain a long list of items designed into machinery that are based on questionable ideas. Curious about your age? What does the rest of your family think of this endeavor you are making? I would think that either you or someone in your family could contact the company and find out exactly what machine or tractor was the smallest to utilize your gramp’s rotary distributor injection pump design. I will monitor this post to see how it develops, hopefully you will gather a lot of useful information.

X2 on the better than Bosch,
But I wonder why did the manufacturers go with Ross/Stand. In those models?
Was there a bad mantra from Bosch to the tractor world?
Inquiring minds want to know more history!

Thanks for sharing. GG Wes

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back