Roosa Master info

X2 on the better than Bosch,
But I wonder why did the manufacturers go with Ross/Stand. In those models?
Was there a bad mantra from Bosch to the tractor world?
Inquiring minds want to know more history!

Thanks for sharing. GG Wes
Likely, the Bosch units were more $$$ and simple economics
Hi everyone:

My grandfather was Vernon Roosa, inventor of the Roosa Master injection pump. He died when I was very young so I don't have a lot of knowledge of the specifics other than things I've heard from my father.

I'm looking to learn more about this to carry on my grandfather's legacy as best I can, and maybe even someday own an operational antique tractor with a Roosa Master pump. Does anyone know what the smallest tractors were that were made with this pump?

I've always been good with my hands and I am half decent auto mechanic at a hobbyist level, but I don't have much knowledge of diesel and tractors in general aside from peeking at the ones I see at the county fair.

Any info would be helpful, or really I'd like to just open this thread up to any fun facts people know about the Roosa Master pump. I've heard a lot about the history from my father, but would love to hear more from folks who have worked with them. I always learn best from taking things apart. :)

Thanks!

You don't necessarily need to buy a tractor to have a running example of your Grandfather's legacy!

Ford used Roosa/Stanadyne I.P.'s on their 6.9 and 7.3 diesels until the Powerstroke era. GM used them on their ill-fated 5.7 diesels from 1978 thru 1985 or so, and on the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels from 1982 though 1993, when it was replaced with the electronic version which lasted until the end of the 6.5 turbodiesel era in 1999 or so.

Another really CUTE example was Oldsmobile's little 262 cubic inch V-6, which was a pretty reliable little engine.

I owned a 1985 Cutlass Cierra with the V-6 for several years with no issues, it got traded off for a larger car for our growing family.

Sure wish I had it back to play with!

Great info, thanks all!

Yes, Stanadyne was the company my grandfather partnered with to perfect the device (Hartford Machine & Screw at the time). That PDF is great, thanks!

I'll choose to blame HMS/Stanadyne for cheapening out on that. On behalf of the Roosa family, I apologize for the stress it caused you in your life. :)
How can you contact me? I may have some old Roosa Master literature..

Likely, the Bosch units were more $$$ and simple economics

You don't necessarily need to buy a tractor to have a running example of your Grandfather's legacy!

Ford used Roosa/Stanadyne I.P.'s on their 6.9 and 7.3 diesels until the Powerstroke era. GM used them on their ill-fated 5.7 diesels from 1978 thru 1985 or so, and on the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels from 1982 though 1993, when it was replaced with the electronic version which lasted until the end of the 6.5 turbodiesel era in 1999 or so.

Another really CUTE example was Oldsmobile's little 262 cubic inch V-6, which was a pretty reliable little engine.

I owned a 1985 Cutlass Cierra with the V-6 for several years with no issues, it got traded off for a larger car for our growing family.

Sure wish I had it back to play with!
We had one of those V-6 engines as well, The dealer had to put a short block in it.

Great info, thanks all!

Yes, Stanadyne was the company my grandfather partnered with to perfect the device (Hartford Machine & Screw at the time). That PDF is great, thanks!

I'll choose to blame HMS/Stanadyne for cheapening out on that. On behalf of the Roosa family, I apologize for the stress it caused you in your life. :)
CRoosa,
I apologize for speaking negatively of your families product. Typically I mentioned a problem that was easily fixed but failed to mention the tens of thousand of hours of trouble free service given me. I hope you find a home here. I think it a privilege to be able to communicate with you.
Ron

X2 on the better than Bosch,
But I wonder why did the manufacturers go with Ross/Stand. In those models?
Was there a bad mantra from Bosch to the tractor world?
Inquiring minds want to know more history!

Thanks for sharing. GG Wes
If you want a LONG LIFE injection pump, Bosch INLINE will do the job. Rotary pumps are made with fewer parts, are simpler design than inline pumps but won't last as long as inline pumps given both versions have the same care. It's nothing to see a Bosch inline pump go 10,000-20,000 hours before needing attention. Most Stanadyne/Roosa pumps need repair before the 5,000 hour mark, similar to the CAV DPA rotary pumps I see each week too.

Well if you don't end up finding a ford the other easy option is D17 allis Chalmers. The next options start to creep up in size pretty quick. 3010 John Deere. 4010. If they have been replaced there's going to be a standadyne tag on I assume you want that big Roosa Master Tag right there nice and prominent. I think you will have to check most of them to see in person if you did find one with the wrong tag for the right price you could find the pump later so to speak have it rebuilt at a local injection shop. His legacy is that rotary pump regardless what companies name is on it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back