September 1949 road trip photos

Great pictures, bring back a lot of memories on the farm as a kid.

Dad had a pickup like that, it was a 1950 1 ton with that loooong bed, 9' loooong. I think regular 3/4 ton was 8' and had more disc like wheels like this.

3/4 ton was the B2B. It did not have 8 lug wheels like Chevy and Ford 3/4 tons.

My brother took it and made a flatbed out of it and put 1 ton wheels on it. One ton dual truck wheels had more dish than the 1 single wheel pickup had. I rode in that pickup to Tillamook and Scio Oregon every week to pick up dairy calves from the dairies Dad sold the cows to. part of the payment was the calves from Dad's prize bull. Mom, my older brother, younger brother and Me in that little cab. Dad raised the heifer calves and sold as milking heifers. Mom continued to pick up the bull calves and Dad raised them for several more years as beef. The heifer calves he got from those original heifer calves were bred to a beef bull to start his beef herd.

The 2 combines together were IHC model 123AP or 125SP, later 127's had the engine up top like a later 141. I had a 123SP but it had single wheels, 8' pickup header with wire pickup "tines" and it was a sacker machine. You can go back and see on here where I was asking questions because I couldn't find a tag. It looked so much smaller, I was looking for a different model # all together. Finally found a picture of a sacker machine and I could see it was a 123SP, just no duals and the narrow pickup header amde it look so small. I was brought to Oregon to harvest red clover seed during the war. It was a first year 1942 model. At that time they cut clover with a spring tine windrower attachment on a regular sickle bar mower....James

I took a look at the original scan that is a little sharper. Pretty sure the lower sticker is for AAA auto club. In Minnesota, so far I know there has never been any required inspections or window stickers like in some other states. Just front and rear plates. Until the mid 50s, there were new plates every year. Then they went to having a bolt on metal tag for a few years before actual stickers like today.

Its possible the upper sticker could be a state park permit or something too.
Looks like the right side of hood and the chrome grill bars are also a bit tweeked inwards.
Maybe whey the factory bumper is gone?

With those rims and what looks like the nine foot bed, that truck is the D-126 One Ton.

Last edited:
Looks like the right side of hood and the chrome grill bars are also a bit tweeked inwards.
Maybe whey the factory bumper is gone?

With those rims and what looks like the nine foot bed, that truck is the D-126 One Ton.
I could believe that. Those look like Budd wheels (split rims??).

Sounds like the one in the video could use a valve lash check. Is it common for flat heads to gain lash as they run. I would think as the seat a valve face wears down the lash would get tighter. I suppose if they lifters and cam are wearing down lash would increase.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back