Sharpening rotary mower blades

It has been a while since I sharpened my rotary mower blades. I went on Bush Hog's website and they had a video on how to do it. Over the years there has been discussions on how to do this. They say to sharpen it like you would a lawn mower blade. Sharpen it with a sharp edge. Then go in and grind the sharp edge back until it is about 1/8 of an inch wide. To me, this changes it from a mower to a frail blade. Shredding it off instead of cutting it cleanly. The 1st picture is right off the mower. 2nd one is the sharpened one like going on a lawn mower and the 3rd one is dulled off as the black line shows.

Attachments

• Blade 3.pdf
    111.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Blade 2.pdf
    231.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Blade 1.pdf
    78.3 KB · Views: 53
If you are cutting mostly weeds or very small brush sharper is good as it cuts cleaner. If chopping brush of any size duller is better, shattering the stumps helps to keep them from poking through your tires next time you mow it. At least that works best for me.

Years ago, someone on here said that if you get carried away with the lawn mower sharping part and don't dull it, there is a chance the part could start to crack the blade. I could see how that would be possible as the blade is really thin in that spot.

I know that, when they are brand new, they are not very sharp. And, all the mowing I've done with them, I can't tell any difference. So I just keep them sharp enough not to be rounded over. I don't sharpen my lawnmower blades that often either, because I can't tell any difference between what the mower cuts and what the weed eater cuts. Mark.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back