Should the Bottom Surface on a New Bush Hog Be Coated

FarmerHR

Am putting a new bush hog into service. Our old one developed holes in the pan from rust and wear. Would it be a good idea to coat the wear surface with something on our new bush hog ?
I would appreciate any suggestions of what materials to use and how to apply the coating.
Many thanks for any help you can give me.

It's probably not worth the effort because there is no coating which will survive the underside of a mower. Your best bet is to clean the underside once in a while. Also, make every effort to mow when the grass is dry.

I think that what applies to a lawn mower applies to a bush hog. There was a long thread about this pertaining to lawnmowers around a month ago. I think that the general consensus was it doesn't pay to do anything.

I just cleaned with a steam cleaner and applied diesel after it dried. I add a little old engine oil mixed in to the underside after each season. I also found it best to store on it's nose stood up against the back wall of the shed, Keeps the moisture from building up under the deck during the winter and rusting....James

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back