Simpson analog multi meters?

JOCCO

Any of you use the old Simpson meters? The 260 was a popular one. I still do some, but everything has gone to digital. Any stories on them?

Used them in the Navy. Have 2 that a co-wprk gave me in 1999 when he bought a tri-wall half-full of new ones at a surplus auction.

Still use a meter everyday working on Navy/CG/Army ships, 99.9% of the time some form of Fluke digital.

I used them at work. When digitals came out, we were given Fluke brand but I kept one handy as there were tests that they would do that the digitals wouldn't.......been too long, forget the tests....reactive component testing I think.

Any of you use the old Simpson meters? The 260 was a popular one. I still do some, but everything has gone to digital. Any stories on them?
Used Simpsons and Tripletts for years at work in the days before digital meters. I still have a Simpson 260 that I use.
It's a perfect compliment to my Fluke and is actually better at certain jobs.

Yes triplett and a few others were common. I believe many of these have faded away.

After all these years and owning Flukes and other fancy digitals, my trusty old 270 is my GO TO meter when working on old tractor electricals for lots of reasons

John T Owner of new Digitals plus the old analog 270 yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Each has its use and purpose, advantages as well as disadvantages and al always TO EACH THEIR OWN choices for whatever or no reason at all lol

After all these years and owning Flukes and other fancy digitals, my trusty old 270 is my GO TO meter when working on old tractor electricals for lots of reasons

John T Owner of new Digitals plus the old analog 270 yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Each has its use and purpose, advantages as well as disadvantages and al always TO EACH THEIR OWN choices for whatever or no reason at all lol
Yes john there is a condenser test you can do with the Simpsons that digital wont.

I have used Simpson 260 meters for 60 years or more in my work and hobbies. I have two 260 meters now, one a series 6 that I purchased in 1969 that I have dropped several times and had to glue the case together. I also accidentally touched a lead on the ohms scale to a 4000 volt DC source. I was able to repair it as it only blew the 1 amp fuse and 1 resistor in the ohms circuit. The meter still works and I used it today. I like the analog scale when checking the continuity of switches. I also have a newer series 7 meter that I bought from an estate for $50 and could not turn that down. It is like brand new. I own many other meters both analog and digital. I have a Triplett 630 that is great for checking high ohms. I have a Fluke 115 and Hewlett Packard 3466A. Many other Radio Shack and other analog and digital meters. I am a meter nut. Still, I use the Simpson 260 or the Fluke 115 about 99% of the time.

I have Simpson 260 and a Triplett big case meters as well as an RCA VTVM that still works. My Fluke is more portable, but on the bench it is analog all the way. Jim

Yes john there is a condenser test you can do with the Simpsons that digital wont.
I like the ohm meter kick back test using my old analog Simpson that can give a good degree of info regarding a condenser. I have later more sophisticated meters for more detailed more accurate condenser rating and other specs. I like having different options for different uses versus any single meter but hey I’m an old sparky that’s to be expected lol

John T

I still have a Simpson 260 I was issued back in 1979. It doesn't work so I don't use it.

A friend of mine worked at an army avionics shop back in the seventies. He said that somebody in the shop discovered that the Simpson 260 front panel and back cover could be ordered separately as repair parts. When assembled you had a complete meter. So they started ordering the parts until everyone in the shop had taken home a brand-new Simpson.

Here on. Sunday morning before church I’d like to share a 60 near year old story concerning my Simpson 270. When I was in high school while some were hanging at local teen hangouts I believe it or not would visit the local tv repair shop where I watched the old salty techs use their Simpons wishing I could afford one of those. Finally after graduating as an EE having my first job at century electric circa 1970 with money for a change I bought my used 270 ( have no recall of where) and have used it ever since despite owning several high dollar high tech digital meters.

Fun thread especially for us old timers who actually love and use old analog test equipment.. What I like best is having the choice and options to use old analog versus modern digital for whichever is best for the application OR one’s personal preference for which there is no right or wrong, just nice to have both options and choices !!!!!!

PS another tech nerdy thing in grade school I ran projectors at local theaters and was able to get old drive in speakers I mounted in a cigar box with holes and wired to other radios I put in different rooms. my mom and grandparents thought I was a genius but worried I would start a fire !!’

Y’all have a nice Sunday best wishes to everyone here. When and where can y’all remember getting your first classic Simpson ??

John T

Last edited:
I have two new ones still in the box, I gave one to a bud that flat out refuses to use a DVOM. Somewhere around mid 80's when electronic engine controls came about all my analog meters got parked except to checking diodes in alternators. This is not to insult anyone but I don't see the hype better test equipment is out there and cheap to, all these years and folks can not give a simple DVOM reading... Just this week a F250 no crank it was right there in from of yall but ell no we were off to the races.

I used to make certain measurements with an Instrument with a high input impedance at the time was a Vacuum Tube Voltmeter. Today I can use my digital meter for those measurements. Also, for a carry around meter that does most jobs for me the little $8 (back when they were yellow they were 5 bucks) HF DVM does the trick, of which I have 4 or 5 sitting around the house and shop, some old and yellow and some new and red.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back