soaked sediment bowl

The sediment bowl of my ford naa is completely soaked with fuel and is leaking fuel. From top to bottom it is covered in gas. I tried putting rtv around the threads with no change. Is this a problem with the gas tank or the sediement bowl? The sediment bowl threads on fine and everything

The sediment bowl of my ford naa is completely soaked with fuel and is leaking fuel. From top to bottom it is covered in gas. I tried putting rtv around the threads with no change. Is this a problem with the gas tank or the sediment bowl? The sediment bowl threads on fine and everything
Gas will creep from around the bowl gasket and climb up to the top of the bowl top. Take Dave's advice, and make sure that gasket is working before you try to stop a leak at the tank that may not exist. RTV is not a good sealant for gas. I use the Permatex non hardening sealer on anything with gas behind it. For it to work good, take the bowl off the tank, clean both sets of threads and use the Permatex when you reassemble it. I'm not sure about your NAA, but most of those tanks and bowls have tapered pipe threads. If they are clean, and a good sealer used, tighten them well. The problems start when your outlet no longer lines up to where it needs to be, and you try to tighten it too much, or you leave it loose, to line the bowl up. Deal with the misalignment with a piece of rubbler gas line, preferably the type that is impervious to ethanol. Steve

Last edited:
The sediment bowl of my ford naa is completely soaked with fuel and is leaking fuel. From top to bottom it is covered in gas. I tried putting rtv around the threads with no change. Is this a problem with the gas tank or the sediement bowl? The sediment bowl threads on fine and everything
I had the same problem with my 1950 farmall C.
It was easier and cheaper to buy an aftermarket carb from Amazon.

Dosens Carburetor Compatible with IH-Farmall Tractor A AV B BN C Super A Super C Replace 352376R92 TSX156 TSX157 TSX319 354184R93 355485R91 373957R91354184R93 373957R91 52499DB 69401D
Sold by: Dsxparts
$33.69
71Yp4U-XxuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It worked like a champ.

If it hadn't Amazon would have paid for the return shipping.

I had the same problem with my 1950 farmall C.
It was easier and cheaper to buy an aftermarket carb from Amazon.
It worked like a champ.

If it hadn't Amazon would have paid for the return shipping.
Sediment bowl/filter/gas shutoff on the fuel tank.

Their should be a gasket where the top of the glass bowl meets the metal flange. Gasket might be cork or rubber. Their should be a fine screen up there too.
Dave
Check this first. If leak is where it threads into tank, unscrew the unit from the tank and reinstall with some wraps of teflon thread tape on the treads.

My go to for gasoline or diesel fuel fittings.

#1. Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket #3. If it will stand up to Aviation fuel systems. It should stand up to a Ford NAA dripper.

#2. Yellow PTFE tape. Yellow is more chemical resistant than white tape. Tape is only good on low fuel pressure systems.

Regular RTV form a gasket including high temp black is no good where gasoline is concerned. Gasoline will turn it to jelly and can possibly gob off the fuel system. Only reason you see it used on modern car and truck intakes is, they are fuel injected and fuel should never come in contact with the intake system.

Well, what I do to find a leak is shut off the fuel. Clean and DRY the bowl, get some good light(s) to shine on the bowl, and THEN turn the fuel back on. Observe the bowl and all the parts around it. If it takes 5 tries to see the leak, it is better than changing/ sealing the wrong thing 1 time. A blow gun can be your friend here. Mark.

Hello Mountain.. welcome to YT! Not sure where you live, but if you have an O'Reilly's Auto Parts near you their number for the sediment bowl gasket is 398. Their nomenclature for it is “fuel strainer”

Last edited:
If it is the bowl gasket replace it dont try to seal it
also after you place the new one on and tighen the bowl
when you turn gas back on you may find the bowl will not fill up
you will need to loosen the bowl with the gas turned on
til you get the air lock out. retighten and wipe off.

I'd rather loosen the fuel line at the outlet or at the carb than mess with the tight seal of the bowl.

Does the same thing.

You don’t have to worry about bleeding air out of the sediment bowl. When the tractor uses gas out of the carb it will work its way out. When the carb is full the fuel can’t move and neither can the air. Once the float needle opens and lets gas flow the air will go down the fuel line and burp out past the float needle. This is someone’s misconception of scientific principals.

You don’t have to worry about bleeding air out of the sediment bowl. When the tractor uses gas out of the carb it will work its way out. When the carb is full the fuel can’t move and neither can the air. Once the float needle opens and lets gas flow the air will go down the fuel line and burp out past the float needle. This is someone’s misconception of scientific principals.
I don't know. It made me feel better once the air was out of the glass bowl. The tractor didn't seem to care, though.:rolleyes: steve

I've had them leak from overtightening the nut at the bottom. It warps the body so it won't seal all the way around. I have straightened them....CAREFULLY, or replace it. Last time I bought a new one it was $40.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back