Spring Resets

JohnRowehl

I was thinking of buying an Oliver 546 plow with spring resets. I assumed that the spring resets functioned the same as what is termed automatic resets. Ran across this in a forum archive. So now I need some help understanding this.

”I have a 5 bottom #546 plow equipped with the concave disc colters …….My plow is also a spring reset, stop and lift the plow up and it resets itself, not as handy as an automatic reset.”

IMG_0007.jpeg

It depends on how hard the ground is and how far it trips. At first they'll just come up and back a little before they start to tip back. If you just hit something that's buried deep enough for them to just raise up over it and the ground is soft enough, they'll push themselves back down.

If your in heavy ground and or traveling too fast you'll either have to reduce your speed to almost a stop or in some cases stop and it should reset. I had a 508 & 588 that would hang up like that, if moving right along in an old alfalfa stand.

I talked to a friend and he differentiated between the cushion reset bottoms that have the springs on the side and the spring automatic reset (SAR) that have the springs on top. He said if the cushion spring bottom went back that far that they trip, then the plow would need to be raised to reset it. Maybe that is what the original post referred to.
IMG_0409.jpeg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back