Square trailer

pcrh

I have a tandem axle flat deck trailer which I pull with a 81 GMC truck. Lately I feel a vibration in the truck from the trailer when on paved roads. I checked wheels for balance and bearings and no issues found. Now I am looking at the alignment of the axles. My question is how can I check if the axles are square to each other?

Usually you will know because it is scrubbing the tires, odd wear pattern. Could be a bent axle. You can measure but hard to get near perfect. Check to make sure springs are on axle right, that you don't have a broken spring bolt. There are places that align trailer axles. Check at RV repair places. Also make sure hitch itself isn't worn on ball, causing "slop". Also make sure pickup is good and trailer isn't sending vibration back that you normally don't feel without trailer....James

I have a tandem axle flat deck trailer which I pull with a 81 GMC truck. Lately I feel a vibration in the truck from the trailer when on paved roads. I checked wheels for balance and bearings and no issues found. Now I am looking at the alignment of the axles. My question is how can I check if the axles are square to each other?
Check all tires, truck and trailer, for lumps or squiggles from tire belts failing. Spin tires to inspect.

Usually you will know because it is scrubbing the tires, odd wear pattern. Could be a bent axle. You can measure but hard to get near perfect. Check to make sure springs are on axle right, that you don't have a broken spring bolt. There are places that align trailer axles. Check at RV repair places. Also make sure hitch itself isn't worn on ball, causing "slop". Also make sure pickup is good and trailer isn't sending vibration back that you normally don't feel without trailer....James
Thanks for the suggestions. By measuring, I assume a common starting point for both axles like the front corners. Hitch is a pintle hitch and no ball. Will check this week.

How are you checking the tires balance?

The condition you describe sounds like one or more of the tires may have a broken belt.

How are you checking the tires balance?

The condition you describe sounds like one or more of the tires may have a broken belt.
Balance tire by method I learned many years ago. Trial and adjust method until tire will not move from where I rotate it to. Then test on a different axle.

The way that the truck and semi garage where I used to work has a small cable they hook to the fifth wheel pin and pull it tight a point equal on both ends of a axle.

The way that the truck and semi garage where I used to work has a small cable they hook to the fifth wheel pin and pull it tight a point equal on both ends of a axle.
If I understand correctly this would tell me how square the axle is. Then I can adjust where needed. Did they set up 1 cable or 2 and then pull the axle square?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back