Stihl chainsaw hard strart

I have a Stihl chainsaw that takes about 8 pulls to start.
Used to be about 2-3 when new about 5 yrs ago
But once started runs fine and I can run it dry, refill and one to two pulls we are up and running.

I was thinking of buying a new carb but just don't know.

026 farmboss

Thanks to all that replied

This post was edited by Patrick Wood on 03/25/2022 at 01:37 pm.

I have a Stihl 029 super. Bought it new I think in 2001 and have cut a good amount of wood with it. First cold start has always been about 8 pulls before it will pop. Once warm usually one maybe 2 pulls. Been that way since new. Not sure why. Other than that it runs great.

I have a 1977 Stihl 031 av bought new 6-8 cords of firewood for ten years. Old girl is tired. Trick I've found is to use my battery operated Ryobi compressor and blow pressure thru the fuel cap vent hole. Not a lot, forces fuel into dry carb. (Ryobi comes with adapters)

Patric Wood,

Bet you the spark plug gap is 020 or less. They come new that way. I wander how they even start! Yes I know the manual says .020
Probably dirty too. Clean and gap the plug .028. or any number between .025 or .030 you like.

Guido.

300jk.
Gap the spark plug .028, and clen as needed. Bet you the saw will pop on the third pull, and start on the fifth pull or sooner,

Guido.

Eight pulls is about right for a saw that has been sitting. The little flapper pump in the carburetor has to get the fuel up in there before it can think about starting.

FWIW the best thing i did to my 028 WB Stihl saw was to in stall a Nova 2 ignition module and got rid of the point under the fly wheel. It operates at a much lower cranking speed making the saw start far easier than the old point system. I found out about this conversion when I went to buy a new set of points for my saw and was told they were NLA . They work with any small engine with a magneto ignition and solve many of the hard starting problems. See the link below:
https://www.amazon.com/ELECTRONIC-TRANSISTORIZED-IGNITION-MODULE-Engine/dp/B01JUBZSCE

This post was edited by Jo Bird on 03/22/2022 at 06:57 pm.

I had that problem with my Stihl this winter. The fuel line had hardened and resulted in enough of a vacuum break around fittings to prevent steady fuel flow.

Mine is over 10 years old and I've replaced the fuel line two or three times. I bought it brand new and have only run 93 octane in it.

I used to have a Stihl saw. From the time I bought it until it quit a good day is when you pulled it 20 times it would start. Nobody could fix it.

(quoted from post at 15:45:02 03/22/22) I have a Stihl chainsaw that takes about 8 pulls to start.
Used to be about 2-3 when new about 5 yrs ago
But once started runs fine and I can run it dry, refill and one to two pulls we are up and running.

I was thinking of buying a new carb but just don't know.

026 farmboss

Probably not the carb itself, but everything between it and the fuel tank. Hoses, the filter, the fuel pump in the carb, etc. Plus, you have less compression, which means the impulse to the fuel pump is likely lower now than 5 years ago. Most of this can be repaired pretty easily if you have a good saw shop in the area or are handy enough to do it yourself. The references to ignition issues are worth a look too.

(quoted from post at 19:47:26 03/22/22) I used to have a Stihl saw. From the time I bought it until it quit a good day is when you pulled it 20 times it would start. Nobody could fix it.

I bought a brand new Stihl just like that. Had it to the shop I bought it from three times. I finally gave it to a friend of mine. He is still a friend but probably only because I give him free home made beer when he comes to visit.

I only have Stihl 2-stroke stuff, and only use Stihl mix, and all of them take several pulls when cold. Then the engine will pop and die, and then I flip off full choke and it will start. I have a 1984 model 028 saw that has been well used, and it has always started this way. Then just 1 pull when warm. I just follow the routine, never really thought about it being difficult to start. Mark.

sounds like the choke is not engaging all the way, needs a new choke rod or the one that is on it, bent a little to fully engage the choke.

I have 4 Stihl saws around here. Not long ago the 021 was becoming a PITA to start and running a bit off. I took it to the local dealer and let him play for a week or two. It came back with a new carb, which even he had problems locating and about $50 or $60 later, I didn't have to mess with it and it starts and runs like new.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back