Super A governor adjustment

Trying to get my late dads super a going again, Put a rebuilt carb on adjusted so runs but don't remember how to adjust governor. Engine revs up only after throttle is pushed more than half way and can't remember if I push throttle lever all the way forward and loosen screw and let rod slide then tighten or loosen screw first then push throttle lever forward. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I alway refer to the I T manual .
this about it
put the Governor control rod at the control lever to high idle to hold it there.
remove carburetor pin carburetor control rod from governor arm . Check the Governor arm for no lost motion it’s keyed to out put shaft. On the Left side ,carburetor side .
Push the carburetor control rod to wide open the butterfly valve on carburetor.
adjust the carburetor control rod yoke so the pin you removed will freely enter hold governor arm with the carburetor butterfly wide open.
replace the pin and cotter pin into the governor arm .
if it hunts afterwards for high idle speed adjust the bumper spring under the governor bottom side (dome cap nut ) ( back off lock nut) .screw irt in to contacts spring to push lever inside to balance will this up clear this up If spring is functional. tighten lock nut and cap nut
if you don’t have adequate governor rod control after this ,you have some lost motion on the governor rod motion to governor arm . Missing or broken balence springs on governor rod. Seen springs reversed. Missing clips for governor control rod.
get you shop manual out, or i t manual , and go through the procedure, does take long to do . Take your time !
good luck . Post any issues you have but after you do this .

Have a manual but my brother can;t remember where it is. Thanks so much we appreciate it. Will be working on it this week.

Above post mentions adjusting the bumper spring to stop hunting. I have 3 tractors with that governor and all 3 had broken springs. New ones are available and easy to change if yours has a problem.

after looking at the governors I have . The bumper spring ground end will wear into the lever. will slip off levers . I buy a very small steel rivet at the hardware store diy area with flat thin head and shank the fits into inside diameter of the spring. It give the spring a better purchase in future use to control Speed .
if you find anything like this you can ask , there are more fixes to share

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back