Super M transmission shaft seal

Mark Poss

I need to replace the transmission output shaft seal on my super M. Does the clutch have to come out to remove the output shaft? And if it does do I have to split the tractor? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mark

The output shafts are the axles?? Well maybe the front of the lower shaft that drives the belly pump could be an output shaft and also the PTO. The seals on the upper input shaft and the fore mentioned front of the lower “constant runner” shaft on the transmission can be replaced without removing the clutch. If your tractor is an early Super with a belly pump that will need to be dropped out.

The transmission has only one "kinda" output shaft that drives the belly pump on a stage 1 M. it can be replaced with removing the belly pump and taking the three bolts out ov the bearing retainer. Drain first!
The shaft above that is an input shaft. from the clutch. I believe that can be replaced without removing the clutch. The coupling (take pictures often before during and more during) on the shaft. the shaft can be removed to allow the front input seal to be accessed under the bearing retainer. It does take holding your tongue correctly Jim

Sorry I need to replace the seal for the clutch input shaft. So I just need to remove the coupling and that will give me enough room to remove the shaft and seal retainer? Thanks, Mark

Yes, if you have a late model with live hydraulics. Otherwise as said the belly pump needs to be dropped. On an M there is no room in there, “zero” with a belly pump. There is only about a 3/16” between the trans shaft and the belly pump shaft. If your tractor is leaking right below the clutch it’s the engine rear main seal.

Sorry I need to replace the seal for the clutch input shaft. So I just need to remove the coupling and that will give me enough room to remove the shaft and seal retainer? Thanks, Mark
Link to parts

Not a Flame!!! Terms are critical so we understand how to help. The clutch shaft Drives the Transmission input shaft through a coupling. If no pump is in there, the lower counter shaft has a domed cover retainer no seal. So you are after the transmission Input shaft seal

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back