Taylor Way Disc Plow

ANC

New User
Trying to find information on a Taylor Way 2 disc plow Model 400002 SN16697 can't find anything about it year weight etc. My dad had it on a Moline which is long gone.

Attachments

• 20240407_135541.jpg
    20240407_135541.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 56
Taylor-Way as a brand name still exists today as part of the King Kutter / Taylor Pittsburg congolmeration. It is possible that this company might be able to give you some details. Just depends on how careful the various owners of the company have been in preserving old documentation over the years.

Neighbor had one and pulled it with a JD B as I recall.....one of the early, popular JD "poppers". The 2 bottom is slow but not all that heavy meaning its ideal for a lighter tractor. I have a different brand, 4 bottom that is a beast. I'd say it cuts about as wide as a small (14"?) moldboard with the same number of bottoms. The thing about this kind of plow is that it rolls the turf over and buries it, like moldboards do, but since it is a rolling surface vs a sliding surface, it is much easier to work in clay and gummy type soils without gumming up with sod.

With that said, around here BTOs and STOs like me, use tandem disc plows/harrows for 2 reasons. First is that these discs use a chain stretched below the axle and up the other side between discs, or scrapers on each disc. that scrape the mud off the disc. and they flip just the topsoil which has proven to help to keep the nutrients in the plant's root area.......per published information available today.
Second, they cover a wider area and usually work a field faster than other methods.....behind adequate HP for the size of the implement. For BTOs working many fields in distant places, they fold up nicely for highway travel.
Third, they don't make for a lot of heavy clods like experienced with moldboard plows, which are brutal for the tractor operator (to stay in the seat) on the first "harrowing" pass after the initial soil breakup......also they lend themselves to spike toothed harrows attached to the rear of the plow to smooth out the surface after cutting.

On areas where a "plow pan" exists.....below where the disc runs the soil doesn't get disturbed so water can't go down into the subsoil.......a ripper/pasture renovator type device which is a single or multiple blade (depending on length and tractor HP) which is designed to not disturb the top soil, but rip up the subsoil in a thin line so that the soil can percolate and absorb and store moisture that would otherwise run off the field and not be there for plant growth during dry conditions. This renovator device is also used on grasslands where the surface grasses aren't to be disturbed and it just cuts a thin slit in the soil and there is minimum surface disturbance, again making slices so that moisture can penetrate the subsoil.

Everybody has their set of conditions, their equipment and their idea of what works for them and what doesn't. The above works for me.

Taylor-Way as a brand name still exists today as part of the King Kutter / Taylor Pittsburg congolmeration. It is possible that this company might be able to give you some details. Just depends on how careful the various owners of the company have been in preserving old documentation over the years.
I've searched all over but can't seem to find one that even looks like it. Guessing its from around the 1950s.

Neighbor had one and pulled it with a JD B as I recall.....one of the early, popular JD "poppers". The 2 bottom is slow but not all that heavy meaning its ideal for a lighter tractor. I have a different brand, 4 bottom that is a beast. I'd say it cuts about as wide as a small (14"?) moldboard with the same number of bottoms. The thing about this kind of plow is that it rolls the turf over and buries it, like moldboards do, but since it is a rolling surface vs a sliding surface, it is much easier to work in clay and gummy type soils without gumming up with sod.

With that said, around here BTOs and STOs like me, use tandem disc plows/harrows for 2 reasons. First is that these discs use a chain stretched below the axle and up the other side between discs, or scrapers on each disc. that scrape the mud off the disc. and they flip just the topsoil which has proven to help to keep the nutrients in the plant's root area.......per published information available today.
Second, they cover a wider area and usually work a field faster than other methods.....behind adequate HP for the size of the implement. For BTOs working many fields in distant places, they fold up nicely for highway travel.
Third, they don't make for a lot of heavy clods like experienced with moldboard plows, which are brutal for the tractor operator (to stay in the seat) on the first "harrowing" pass after the initial soil breakup......also they lend themselves to spike toothed harrows attached to the rear of the plow to smooth out the surface after cutting.

On areas where a "plow pan" exists.....below where the disc runs the soil doesn't get disturbed so water can't go down into the subsoil.......a ripper/pasture renovator type device which is a single or multiple blade (depending on length and tractor HP) which is designed to not disturb the top soil, but rip up the subsoil in a thin line so that the soil can percolate and absorb and store moisture that would otherwise run off the field and not be there for plant growth during dry conditions. This renovator device is also used on grasslands where the surface grasses aren't to be disturbed and it just cuts a thin slit in the soil and there is minimum surface disturbance, again making slices so that moisture can penetrate the subsoil.

Everybody has their set of conditions, their equipment and their idea of what works for them and what doesn't. The above works for me.
Dad said it was great for breaking a new field especially if it previously trees in it disc would slice right through the roots. Wanted to try it on my Kubota L47 but I thing it will be to much for it. I have to take furrow wheel off just to pick up with loader.

Dad said it was great for breaking a new field especially if it previously trees in it disc would slice right through the roots. Wanted to try it on my Kubota L47 but I thing it will be to much for it. I have to take furrow wheel off just to pick up with loader.
Furrow wheels are deliberately heavy, needed to offset the torque of the discs. What is the HP of a JD B? Not all that much. Nothing ventured.....nothing gained.......or lost!! In trying to learn how to farm over the past 45+ years, I have tested many combinations....some I won, some I lost......its all part of the game....trying to win at farming.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back