thinking about buying a D17

As with any of the A/C tractors check and make sure it stays in all the gears. The D-17 was not to bad about that being a problem but still never hurts to check. The way they get live PTO is by way of the high/low power director and that takes a bit to get a hang of and will creep in the lower gears when in neutral. The later model D-17 was a bit better then the early ones so the year it is can make a difference as to what it maybe worth.

The D17 was a very popular tractor, nimble and easy to handle. The Series IV was the the last one, 1964-1967, starting at sn 75001. That one had independent hyd, with the external pump on the right side, where a belt pulley would normally go. Series IV was available with Snap-Coupler or standard ASAE 3 point hitch.

Hey there, in my opinion, the D 17 was one of the best Allis Chalmers ever made. I have a series 3 and 4 and they are the best chore tractors you could own. They have 54 h.p. and are quite easy to get around in any job you might need them for. The 4 has live hydraulics but that is only a plus and the 3 does not, but not a real problem. I would say if the motor starts and runs well and the hand clutch works as it should, you shouldn't have any worries. They are pretty easy on gas for the amount of work they will do. I love both of mine. Good luck on your purchase.

As old said, check the gears, to make sure they don't pop out, specially 3rd gear. To test, drive the tractor down a steep hill, in 3H, pull the hand clutch back to 3L, and see if the gearshift lever pops into neutral. Go back and forth between 3L and 3H, several times, after its good and warm.

Mike in Mis, I grew up rumming 1. Was our main tractor on 540 acres. It was a 1957 OR 58, one of the first ones. I put thousands of hours on it growing up. It was a sweet ride. After 10 or 15000 hours it statrted to jump out of 3rd gear going down the hills. I bought a series 4 diesel 25 years ago and would not trade it for anything,

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back