Timing a Cub with dial indicater

I'm helping a friend time his Farmall Cub correctly. I always used a dial indicater to find exact TDC. Should the Cub spark exactly at top
dead center? Or should the spark occur a little before? How many degrees before? Last tractor I did was an Allis B and I set it to spark at
about 3 degrees BTDC and it ran good. Don't know if that was a lucky guess or was still off a little? Please advise. And thank you to my
respondents. Merry Christmas!

qrVoyRz.jpg

FQc3ab8.jpg

There you go!

Wore out gave you all the right specs. Addressing the question of finding TDC, a dial indicator isn't required. The crankshaft pulley has a notch that you align with a pointer to get TDC. Even someone only half paying attention should get to within a fraction of a degree of TDC. Later Cubs had two notches in the pulley. The added one is at 16 degrees advance. If there are 2 notches, the second one to reach the pointer is TDC.

By the way, I have set timing on an Allis B. I completely understand why you want a dial indicator for that job!

I am not that familiar with a Cub engine but I know they are a flat head, so curious can you access the top of the piston through the spark plug hole? Probably very likely, otherwise not sure how you would find TDC off the valve train? It could probably be done but you would need the cam degree specs. I agree with Jim, probably way over kill on that engine. Use the pulley mark and call it good.

My goodness, we have set the timing on dozens of Cubs, magneto and distributor. Way too easy to do. Then fine tune by ear.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back