Toro engines?

JL Ray

Been looking at new mowers and I see Toro has its own engine. Is this a good engine? Or is it some one else's engine with there name? Anyone know?

It would help if you let us know which model mower you are considering.
In general terms, mower manufacturers do not make engines now.
There may be exceptions.

more likely rebadged sticker, if I were to bet probably rebadged briggs. what model you talking. even if it is it will be fine. been going on for years

China
The Chinese engines which Toro is using are built by the Loncin corporation in Chongqing, China.

But internet chatter is they are very good, even better than briggs and kohler.

That is the idea. To make you have to go back to the Toro dealer for any parts. They did the same with Onan and Subaru engines in the past.

We have sold several at the Toro dealer I work at. So far, I have seen one using oil, but it was three years old and I don't know its history, or whether it had any oil changes or other mainatenance in all that time. And another that the fuel pump went bad on right off the bat, but that could happen to any brand of engine.

I bought a 32" toro last summer to mow a cemetery. It now has 125 hrs no problems. Two years a go I helped mow the cemetery. The "boss" had two 32" Toro's that had to be eight to ten years old. He did no maintance at all. Only fixed them when they wouldn't start. He left them sit out side year round. Had lots of trouble with water in the fuel. He rarely changed oil and was using the wrong type of oil. The engines took his abuse and kept on running.

The manual says to change oil every 100 hrs. I changed it at 85 hrs. Also states to change the air filter and spark plug at 100 hrs. I don't really see the point in changing the plug. Seems like they are a little hard starting. You have to learn how much choke to use.

Toro has a website you can order all the parts and have them shipped to your door. I looked up the price of the deck belt. It was $49.99. It is just a 4Lx80 belt. I bought a 4L belt for $15.00.

Exmark mowers use the same engine on their mowers just add the Exmark logo.

(quoted from post at 00:17:17 06/17/20)

Exmark mowers use the same engine on their mowers just add the Exmark logo.

Exmark
Ventrac
Ditchwich

The above are Toro brands, I would think they might all use the parent company brand of engines as well.

bought a new personal pace hand mower a year ago says guarnteed to start dont say how many pulls it is hard to start at least 6 pulls i asked for a honda engine sales people said that torro took
the best of briggs and honda and made their own there is no choke so you pull till it starts or i have used starter fluid not real happy with the guarntee to start have had good luck with torro mowers in past but they missed the boat when it comes to woman or older people pulling that much to get started after runninfg starts ok with 1 or 2 pulls

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back