Tow a Honda Rancher?

I have the automatic version of a Honda Rancher that I wold like to tow to a field behind a piece of equipment. Honda corporation will not answer the question if this can be done without damaging the transmission. Has anyone had experience and done this with out damage?

Dont know about your rancher. But I have pulled my old ATC 200(3 wheeler) hundreds of miles over the last 30 years with no ill effects.

I have the automatic version of a Honda Rancher that I wold like to tow to a field behind a piece of equipment. Honda corporation will not answer the question if this can be done without damaging the transmission. Has anyone had experience and done this with out damage?
Dad has done it several times with a 2005 Honda Rancher. Put it in neutral, pulled behind several implements, no damage done.

This machine is an automatic and there for no way to disconnect an axle or transmission. It could potentially damage the drive train. With no answers from The Honda corporation, I am reluctant to tow it.

Would help if the model year was known. Also if it has an older Automatic or newer Dual Clutch transmission, Electric or foot shifter?

Big difference between the different types. What is good with one is not good for the other.

How about leaving the engine idling while you tow? That way the transmission internals are being lubricated while you tow. A manual transmission, when you tow it, the mainshaft is rotating inside all the upper gear sets without lubrication (it's above the oil level)-so if you have engine idling-it gets some lube thrown up by the lower countershaft. Mark.

This machine is an automatic and there for no way to disconnect an axle or transmission. It could potentially damage the drive train. With no answers from The Honda corporation, I am reluctant to tow it.
Maybe pull it on a little trailer. That way you're sure about it not getting it messed up.

TRX420FM - Manual Shift transmission. .No problem towing. FM1 adds selectable 4x4.

TRX420FE1 - Electric Shift transmission with selectable 4x4. . No problem towing.

TRX420FA - Dual Clutch transmission. Full auto or electric shift.. First, third and fifth gears are driven by the first clutch. Second, fourth and reverse are driven by the second clutch..

Attachments

• IMG_20240509_144004.jpg
    IMG_20240509_144004.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 39
Mark,
Very good suggestions on how to tow. I would still like an answer from a Honda technical person. I hate to think how much it will cost to be wrong.
I agree - Honda not giving an answer is strange. I, too, would like to know what the Honda techs actually know or say about towing. As a rule, towing an automotive transmission without the engine running is not a good idea because of how they are made. I don't know how the Honda is made though. Mark.

Go to the dealer and have them check with their rep. Don’t rely on an email through Hondas website, the people monitoring those emails aren’t going to answer technical questions like that. With an automatic transmission, the answer is most likely no. Neutral isn’t the same as in a geared transmission.

As I recall, very early GM Hydra-Matic transmissions had both an engine driven 'front' pump AND a tail shaft driven rear pump, so that oiling functioned while towing with a dead engine. In later years, they dropped the rear pump. Probably has no relationship to the original question, but points out the need for oiling. How does Honda do it? I see a lot of cars & trucks towed behind motor homes, how do they do it?

Honda Automotive automatic are very similar to a Manual.

They are extremely simple till you get to the valve body. They suffer form case issues, sealing ring issues. 2001 to 2004 were the worst ones, before and after that are pert near bullet proof. I had two 2001 both I had to replace the trans, and one on a 2003. I drive a 03 now with 225K with a V6 so far so good. None of the problem ones lasted 100K.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back