Tractor ID Help!

FrankDaPlow

New User
Hey all new member here and I need some help! Recently purchased a new piece of equipment and am trying to figure out what it started its life out as. Currently it is set up as a large snow plow but based on my evaluations and searches, its not shall we say "factory". That said it also is not fully home built, craftsmanship and engineering are too good for someone to scab all this together.

Only items on the tractor that have any sort of markings are the steering wheel which is a Minneapolis Moline (as is the rest of the rear steer hydraulics I am assuming) and the gear box located to the right of the cab on the main drive axle; it has an "M-M" shown in the casting along with a part/serial number.

Drivetrain is currently a late 70's small block ford and associated 3 speed automatic which I know is not original.

Overall the unit is in excellent condition with no major rust, all original glass from what I can tell and 70's era gauges, switch/fuses, lights and radio.

Guessing the bulk of the units foundation is some sort of harvester but would love to know what specifically. Also, if anyone has any info on the axle gearbox that would be greatly appreciated. (I am told that it is a hi/lo, open/locked differential, but I have not been able to test out for verification.)

For a size scale, the tires are 14.9-26.

mvphoto108044.jpg

mvphoto108045.jpg

mvphoto108046.jpg

mvphoto108047.jpg

mvphoto108048.jpg

mvphoto108049.jpg

mvphoto108050.jpg

This post was edited by FrankDaPlow on 07/31/2023 at 02:49 pm.

Look up Minneapolis-Moline Uni-System. One power unit, many attachments for harvesting, etc. Later acquired and made by
New Idea corp. Yours is nicely done with the cab as most I believe were very open station.

cvphoto159796.jpg

Has a Uni-harvestor transmission. Probably 'Farmerized' into a snow plow. I guess its hydrostatic.
or
Do you really open the door and lean out to shift gears?

Thank you. Does appear to be a uni primary axle and steering. (Although mine has dual rear wheels as opposed to the single, so maybe a set up from a newer MM?)

As for the gears, axle tranny appears to be hi/low as confirmed by looking at the web. The plow has a three speed ford c4 auto mated to the small block. It then goes into another box that changes the drive line 90 deg to mate to the axle.
mvphoto108059.jpg

mvphoto108060.jpg

I want one for snow would be the cats meow for me with the cab on top like that and the drive wheels under the bulk of the weight. I suppose to shift from low to high would not be to bad to reach out for that. Would need to be one for both wheel ends or it is driven from that side then. It is also home built just a well done job.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back