tractor paint

whats the best paint you can get for a ford tractor blue of course thanks
I don't know about what is the "best' paint as many have their own opinions. There were a few different shades of the FORD EMPIRE BLUE based on model year built.

FORD TRACTOR THOUSAND SERIES BLUE PAINT CODES – PRE–NEW HOLLAND

My 1969 Special Parts Catalog lists the Ford Blue paint, after ’63 as M1J-1639-SE

CNH sells their IRONGARD brand as p/n 9613386DS, 63-00 BLUE, close match and should be the same as the 2nd one on list, M20J11639A #8486.

NOTE: Equipment Dark Blue is a darker shade.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• CNH FORD EMPIRE BLUE PAINT.jpg
    CNH FORD EMPIRE BLUE PAINT.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 20
  • FORD TRACTOR PAINT CODES I.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR PAINT CODES I.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 23
  • FORD TRACTOR BLUE PAINT CODES II.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR BLUE PAINT CODES II.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 20
I don't know what is the "best" paint.
I have painted a few Ford tractors - red, gray, blue and yellow and have used several different brands of 'tractor and implement enamel'. All were satisfactory. The last few have been with Old 55 brand from Fleet Farm.
What is important is that you use the hardener when you spray and mix it according to the instructions. Without the hardener your finish will be somewhat dull.

"Best" can be expensive. TISCO by Van Sickle uses an alkyd enamel and advises to use a hardener. Other have said an alkyd is not the best. I concur with Ultradog below. I have used several brands with OK results. It all depends on what you want to accomplish - a show queen or just a workhorse and always how much you want to spend.

Tim Daley (MI)

If you want the best, PPG. Take a sample to the dealer and they will mix it. You won’t like the price though. A long time ago it was $110 / gallon

I have spent hours and days doing the body work on a hood.
When I got it painted my body work still wasn't good enough to warrant a fancy paint job. So I gave up on the best paint and have settled for good paint.

If you want the best, PPG. Take a sample to the dealer and they will mix it. You won’t like the price though. A long time ago it was $110 / gallon
Yes, if you have the paint code they can look it up and see what exactly the ingredients are and mix it up. I went my local mom & pop auto parts store that does paint. I had the GM Red paint that John Smith said he found years ago for his 8N that was a close match to the GM Cenatri Red from like 1984. They were able to pull up the exact code, mix me up a batch, and was not expensive at all. They made me a quart, a pint, and two spray cans.

Tim Daley (MI)

I use Acrylic Enamel with hardener. It is far cheaper than the "best", but it is way better than the alkyd enamel that they sell at tractor dealers and TSC and the like. To get "the best" you need to go to an automotive paint jobber. many auto supply stores have a paint department where they can mix whatever color you want.

Yes, if you have the paint code they can look it up and see what exactly the ingredients are and mix it up. I went my local mom & pop auto parts store that does paint. I had the GM Red paint that John Smith said he found years ago for his 8N that was a close match to the GM Cenatri Red from like 1984. They were able to pull up the exact code, mix me up a batch, and was not expensive at all. They made me a quart, a pint, and two spray cans.

Tim Daley (MI)
No, you do not need the paint code . Each color chip has its own code (well, here in the US anyway) and is matched to whatever specimen you bring in.
That being said, it is also possible that the better body supply shops will already have a standard list of equipment colors, with their accompanying codes.
Anyone can go buy paint and think they got a deal; it all looks beautiful when it is first applied. But if you want durability, you have to pay for it. You can put all the hardener in it you want but that won’t stop it from oxidation… only money does. This particularly important for machines such as excavators that have to stand outdoors their entire lives with no maintenance to the finish at all.
High price paint also dries faster… touch dry in about 20 minutes… takes less time to apply successive coats as necessary.
It is understood that this may not be for everyone particularly those with show tractors that can be waxed in an hour’s time. But if restoring implements is your thing, I’d like a high quality paint that will clean up good with a pressure washer and very little hand washing.
It is my belief that if all paint were created equal, some of these companies would not be able to command these staggering prices I’ve been seeing lately.

Using paint codes when only painting a portion of something will not necessarily produce a visual match. Most older tractors, cars, etc. have had their original paint fade over time, and new paint using the original paint code will not look the same.

If you really want the best paint find an auto body supply store that mixes and ask them about their best paint. Then ask the price for it and the correct primer, hardener and clear coat. The you'll see why most use single stage enamel with the hardener additive on tractors.

If you really want the best paint find an auto body supply store that mixes and ask them about their best paint. Then ask the price for it and the correct primer, hardener and clear coat. The you'll see why most use single stage enamel with the hardener additive on tractors.
Eman you really should do yourself a favor and price acrylic enamel.

I am also looking for Paint but for an 8N. I am planning to use high quality automotive paint on gray parts like the hood and fenders but looking for something really durable and resistant to chips on the chassis. Anything similar to por15 in durability to use on the red?

For what it is worth, here are my own user points. 1) Red paint oxidizes and fades in sunlight faster than other colors. 2) like painting a house, prep is over 90% of what needs to be done, any paint shot over metal that has even the thinnest film of oil or wax is a waste of money as it will peel off. 3) Paint may be dry to the touch, dry enough to remove masking tape, or dry enough for customer use, however, the chemistry of these paints is such that there is a difference between dry and hard. Most paints can take multiple weeks to fully harden so you benefit from the durability of the paint, so if possible, once painted, just leave it all alone for several weeks prior to reassembly. 4) check with your supplier to see how large an area they need for their photo color analysis equipment to work, 5) If it comes in a spray can it is garbage. 6) After 6 tractor restorations, I have found that I can get great results using a brush on any cast metal parts, but for sheet metal you really should use a spray gun. I have always liked the PPG Omni paints, with an etch primer, then a sealer, then the paint. This gives great color match and is mid range in price (figure about $400 to paint an entire tractor not including other supplies), but I have switched to Sherwin Williams Duraplate and Acrolon which are commercial coatings used in the maritime and logging industries. I pay $145 per gallon, but the retail price is over $400 per gallon. Most durable paint available but color is hard to match. Finally, understand that there are true paint and coatings experts that spend their entire professional lives trying to get it just right, whatever happens and whatever paint you use, enjoy the fact that you are learning a new skill.

That depends on how much money you want to spend. Custom mixed automotive acrylic enamel or basecoat colors are now $300.00 a gal and up. plus the thinners, hardeners and if you want to clearcoat, the sky is the limit. Very easy to spend $1000.00 on paint alone. Epoxy primers are $250.00 per gallon. Let your wallet be your guide. I had well over $1000.00 in paint on this one.

Attachments

• 1964 Ford 2000 001.jpg
    1964 Ford 2000 001.jpg
    898.6 KB · Views: 19
That depends on how much money you want to spend. Custom mixed automotive acrylic enamel or basecoat colors are now $300.00 a gal and up. plus the thinners, hardeners and if you want to clearcoat, the sky is the limit. Very easy to spend $1000.00 on paint alone. Epoxy primers are $250.00 per gallon. Let your wallet be your guide. I had well over $1000.00 in paint on this one.
That’s a good looking Ford!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back