Tractor Sale Gone Sour. What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay.

Tractor is gone, cash money in hand.

Paperwork modified as to the finalized transaction, dated and signed by the three parties involved with each of us getting a copy.

A pleasant couple of hours, they brought KFC for lunch. We ate then did the money deal and paperwork. Loaded up the tractor and down the road they went.

A good day.

Thanks to all that offered advice, humour, and/or critisism.
The son has an interesting story to go with his new tractor. Maybe the son will show up on YT asking about or showing off the old Ferguson.

I'm guessing that Brown David would rather the whole thing be put to bed. It was a great story and an interesting discussion though.
When David first posted I didn't bother to offer my opinion. But at the time I thought to myself that I'd just give the neighbor his money back and give myself a mental note not to sell on installments. I'm glad it all worked out. I wonder if the son paid the father back the amount that had already been paid to David or if the father already owed the son that money?

I bought a non-running Ferguson cheap a few years ago. Did some fixing and tinkering and turned it into a good running and working little tractor that isn't all that pretty but I've seen worse.

Now, last spring a guy I've known and dealt with for years asked if I'd sell it. I had been thinking of selling it so I thought about it for a while then told him I would and I put a price on it.

He said he'd take it if he could leave it here and make payments on it then take it when it was paid for.

Well, I didn't really want to do that but I've known him for years so I reluctantly said okay.

Anyway, he paid 200 bucks down on the spot and then started paying 100 bucks a month on it, he lives on small pensions.

Long story short, he's paid a bit over half on it but has now decided he doesn't want it and wants his money back.

I'm not happy.

What would you do?

Sounds like the son was properly raised, which reflects on the true character of the father. Very sad what dementia can do.

When David first posted I didn't bother to offer my opinion. But at the time I thought to myself that I'd just give the neighbor his money back and give myself a mental note not to sell on installments. I'm glad it all worked out. I wonder if the son paid the father back the amount that had already been paid to David or if the father already owed the son that money?

I can't answer that.

I thought of that as well but I didn't want to ask as it's none of my business really.

When I was a kid the neighbor went to a auction sale and bought about all the newer machinery there. They had to sell it all and pay for it, then told him to a home. It's sad , but happens.

When I was a kid the neighbor went to a auction sale and bought about all the newer machinery there. They had to sell it all and pay for it, then told him to a home. It's sad , but happens.
I'm having a hard time following your story JW. Who is "they" in the second sentence? The last sentence still leaves me hanging .....

They, being the rest of the family. I should have put that in there. And IT being all the equipment that he bought at the auction. And HOME being the home for retarded.

JW: You should make an effort to get current on acceptable terminology for those with mental health issues. Just passing along some friendly advice.
CH,
I like and respect you so don't get me wrong here...
If you wish to incorporate "currently acceptable language" into your own speech I am all for it. But if you try to correct my language like you just did with J. Wondergem you will start a major squabble.

A surprising development has occurred.

As I was eating lunch the phone rang. It was the guy's son calling wanting to know what the deal is. He said his father called him complaining that I wouldn't give his money back.

I explained it all to him and said that I had intended to call his father to tell him that I would come to his place and refund his money and wipe the slate clean, so to speak.

The son said, okay, let me call you back in a few minutes, which he did.

He then asked what the balance owed was and if the tractor was accessible to be loaded on a trailer. I replied that it could be very easily.

He said if I would be around tomorrow he would come pay the balance owing and take the tractor home with him, he lives an hour or so away.

I told him there was no need to do that, I'll just give him his money and call it done.

No, he said, the deal was made and through no fault of yours it fell apart and I want to make good on it, said he was kind of looking for a tractor anyway.

So, I said okay, come get it then. Supposed to be here tomorrow morning.

I went out and put the charger on the battery and cleared stuff out of the way to get it out of the shed. Started right up after topping the battery up for an hour or so. It's ready to go.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Sounds like a plan. Get your money then they get the tractor. Shake hands,say thank you no hard feelings. Thinks usually work out if you take the high road. Bill

CH,
I like and respect you so don't get me wrong here...
If you wish to incorporate "currently acceptable language" into your own speech I am all for it. But if you try to correct my language like you just did with J. Wondergem you will start a major squabble.
So UD, are saying then that in your opinion that JW's use of word in question is acceptable? If that's the case then I must say I'm surprised. I don't read all of your posts or replies so I have no idea what sort of terminology you might choose to use for the unfortunate individuals that suffer from those conditions. If you have found some of my terminology offensive or inappropriate, I welcome a reminder any time you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back