Troubleshooting an Electronic ignition

Ted in NE-OH

I put an electronic ignition on my AC Model G. Worked good for a year and now no spark, so now how do I troubleshoot it.??

Possible cause of failure. The electronic ignitions I have seem can overheat and burn out if the ignition is left ON and the engine stops with the magnet aligned with the sensor.
If needed I have a PDF for the Hot Spark toubleshooting.
Pertronix Troubleshooting

I burned one out when I was doing some tune-up work and my fire pager went off. The call took maybe two hours. No more spark.

Check it just as you would a points system, EI and points system all suffer from the same issues. A logic prob would be nice to have even better a DSO. You can do a basic test with a test light the results are basically the same you are looking for the module to pull the circuit to ground are close. using 12V you would look for a high of 12V and a low of 1/2 Volt. Using a test light on the Negative terminal of the coil (12V negative ground) it should pulse the light.

Just like a points system its a switch the diagnostic process is basically the same. Using a logic probe (red high) (green low) you are looking for the module to switch the voltage high/low. A logic probe will not interfere with the circuit.

What are we out to prove the module is capable of switching the circuit, that's it if it does the module is good if not then we diagnose the health of the rest of circuit. There is no black magic to it.

(quoted from post at 23:35:43 12/09/23) I put an electronic ignition on my AC Model G. Worked good for a year and now no spark, so now how do I troubleshoot it.??
e cautious of information posted, as people "assume" too many things. Positive ground or Negative ground, 12v or 6v, etc. Answers given without even knowing what you are running are always suspect.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back