Troy Built Horse Question...

We have an older Horse that was picked up for next to nothing. I got it running great after fiddling with it for about 20 minutes, pull start full of wasp's nests and a stuck valve. Went through everything, fluids etc and put on new Pix belts.

I am out of adjustment and the belts slip as soon as the tines start to dig in. I have "heard" I need to get Troy Built belts??

Any help would be appreciated (y)

Are you out of movement on the front guide pins that the engine goes up and down on? If not, you need to move the sloped block down where the rollers ride on. The rollers are on the engagement handle. Does your machine have two grooves on the pulleys? You could move belt to second set in case the pulleys are worn where the belt is now.

Are you out of movement on the front guide pins that the engine goes up and down on? If not, you need to move the sloped block down where the rollers ride on. The rollers are on the engagement handle. Does your machine have two grooves on the pulleys? You could move belt to second set in case the pulleys are worn where the belt is now.
Yes... and the roller adjustment is maxed out, the handle hits the shroud when the tines are engaged. This one has 2 belts and both have been replaced along with the reverse disk.

We have an older Horse that was picked up for next to nothing. I got it running great after fiddling with it for about 20 minutes, pull start full of wasp's nests and a stuck valve. Went through everything, fluids etc and put on new Pix belts.

I am out of adjustment and the belts slip as soon as the tines start to dig in. I have "heard" I need to get Troy Built belts??

Any help would be appreciated (y)
I buy my belts for my troy built from O'Reilly's but I don't remember the number for the belts. My dad got it back in 1972 and I still use it in my garden

i see matthies has responded. yes, look for some adjustment first. small adjustments make a big difference. i think other belts will work. plenty of troybilt tiller sites to check too. keep every moving part lubed ... i've had good luck using dry lube on the slides and joints. there can be internal wear that will limit the tines but you'd hear different sounds probably. depending on the model, belts will have differing loads in high and low ranges.

i had a surprise last week ... the left wheel slipped on the shaft under heavy load. 80's vintage horse. i finally looked and found the wheel-shaft roll pin had backed out! a few taps and back in business.

I don’t know what a pix belt is, but it doesn’t have to be much narrower to ride deeper in the groove and use up all your travel, if there is a difference in the belts

I buy my belts for my troy built from O'Reilly's but I don't remember the number for the belts. My dad got it back in 1972 and I still use it in my garden
I bought the "correct" Pix belts from our local mom and pop equipment store.

Feel like I am missing something obvious, but I grew up using one and its not a tricky design :unsure:

i see matthies has responded. yes, look for some adjustment first. small adjustments make a big difference. i think other belts will work. plenty of troybilt tiller sites to check too. keep every moving part lubed ... i've had good luck using dry lube on the slides and joints. there can be internal wear that will limit the tines but you'd hear different sounds probably. depending on the model, belts will have differing loads in high and low ranges.

i had a surprise last week ... the left wheel slipped on the shaft under heavy load. 80's vintage horse. i finally looked and found the wheel-shaft roll pin had backed out! a few taps and back in business.
I am out of adjustment, I have been on the Troy Built sites and YTU, that is where I am seeing about needing Troy Built belts, does not make sense to me, it's not like understanding these adjustments is hard. And I don't see my pops ever paying up for a Troy Built belt for his back in the day.

I don’t know what a pix belt is, but it doesn’t have to be much narrower to ride deeper in the groove and use up all your travel, if there is a difference in the belts
Brand

I am out of adjustment, I have been on the Troy Built sites and YTU, that is where I am seeing about needing Troy Built belts, does not make sense to me, it's not like understanding these adjustments is hard. And I don't see my pops ever paying up for a Troy Built belt for his back in the day.

Brand
I don't know if this matters but all the belts I have ever used on mine where green in color

Anytime you hear someone talking about proprietary v-belts, keep in mind who has the most to gain from you believing that.

Yes... and the roller adjustment is maxed out, the handle hits the shroud when the tines are engaged. This one has 2 belts and both have been replaced along with the reverse disk.
You can't run two belts on a Horse since the pulleys aren't the same sizes. They are different to provide a high and low range by moving the belt from one pair to the other. Using two belts at once will wear them out very quickly and would soak up a bunch of power.

You can't run two belts on a Horse since the pulleys aren't the same sizes. They are different to provide a high and low range by moving the belt from one pair to the other. Using two belts at once will wear them out very quickly and would soak up a bunch of power.
Like Brendon-KS said just one belt. There are 2 grooves, but only to have more speed choices, NOT to run 2 belts.

Absolutely, a slightly wider belt under a different part number or from a different mfg. MAY make a world of difference.

Like Brendon-KS said just one belt. There are 2 grooves, but only to have more speed choices, NOT to run 2 belts.
Thanks!

I thought it was odd but the original owner swore it had 2 belts on it when he bought it new and he always had 2 on it.

That said he is in his late 80's.

My horse new around 1980 came with two belts and runs two belts today. My pulleys are the same size. I had slippage issues till I ran across these belts. Amazon google it.

2 PK A20K PIX Belts Made with Kevlar Compatible with Troy Bilt GW-1128, 1710812, 1710957​

My horse new around 1980 came with two belts and runs two belts today. My pulleys are the same size. I had slippage issues till I ran across these belts. Amazon google it.

2 PK A20K PIX Belts Made with Kevlar Compatible with Troy Bilt GW-1128, 1710812, 1710957​

Ours was new about the same time but has one belt and two grooves for high and low. It originally had a Tecumseh engine on it. Now IIRC there was a variant of the horse that had a bigger Kohler engine on it and that one ran two belts at the same time.

Those are the ones I put on it. I did just read on the interwed that some horse models had 2 belts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back