Troy Built Horse Question...

You can't run two belts on a Horse since the pulleys aren't the same sizes. They are different to provide a high and low range by moving the belt from one pair to the other. Using two belts at once will wear them out very quickly and would soak up a bunch of power.
The older 2 speed Horse tillers ran two belts on equal sized pulleys. The newer models ran one belt on different sized pulleys to give them 4 speeds.

My horse new around 1980 came with two belts and runs two belts today. My pulleys are the same size. I had slippage issues till I ran across these belts. Amazon google it.

2 PK A20K PIX Belts Made with Kevlar Compatible with Troy Bilt GW-1128, 1710812, 1710957​

That is interesting that they came both ways. I've always thought that all Horse models had 4 speeds - two in the transmission times two with the belt position. Dad bought a new 7hp Kohler-powered Horse in about 1979 and I switched that belt back and forth many times to suit the conditions.

Yes... and the roller adjustment is maxed out, the handle hits the shroud when the tines are engaged. This one has 2 belts and both have been replaced along with the reverse disk.
There is a chance the long handle is bent. I had to straighten mine to get it back in the sweet spot between the handlebar and the tine shroud. And I have to adjust the "ramp" every other year or so. But I've never put a belt on it since the '80s. steve

We have an older Horse that was picked up for next to nothing. I got it running great after fiddling with it for about 20 minutes, pull start full of wasp's nests and a stuck valve. Went through everything, fluids etc and put on new Pix belts.

I am out of adjustment and the belts slip as soon as the tines start to dig in. I have "heard" I need to get Troy Built belts??

Any help would be appreciated (y)
I brought my Horse in 1977 and it has one belt. I have tried to use aftermarket belts with little luck and have to go back and get the high priced ones at the dealer to make it work right. Some of the earlier models before mine did have two belts but not mine.

We have an older Horse that was picked up for next to nothing. I got it running great after fiddling with it for about 20 minutes, pull start full of wasp's nests and a stuck valve. Went through everything, fluids etc and put on new Pix belts.

I am out of adjustment and the belts slip as soon as the tines start to dig in. I have "heard" I need to get Troy Built belts??

Any help would be appreciated (y)
https://www.flgparts.com/wp-content/uploads/troy-bilt-horse-serial-numbers.pdf According to this, production of 2-speed Horse I with double belts ended in February 1978 and was replaced with 4-speed Horse II with a single belt.

My Horse is from the early 70's and had the Tecumseh engine with 2 belt drive. It is a 2 speed model, I know they later went to the 4 speed but have never seen one so can't talk about the belt arrangement. We were told that the belts were matched sets by the manufacture. I beleive that the rod to engage the the drive is bent just enough to hit the tine hood. I've rebuilt the gearing for the tines last year, finally wore it out.

My Horse is from the early 70's and had the Tecumseh engine with 2 belt drive. It is a 2 speed model, I know they later went to the 4 speed but have never seen one so can't talk about the belt arrangement. We were told that the belts were matched sets by the manufacture. I beleive that the rod to engage the the drive is bent just enough to hit the tine hood. I've rebuilt the gearing for the tines last year, finally wore it out.
Sounds like mine. Original owner bought it in the early 70's. If I have time this weekend I am going to pull it back out and go thru it one more time.

Thank you everyone for the help (y)

I am having a hard time believing they meant to change speeds with the pulleys (moving belts). I see it can be done but not the reasoning behind it. I have ran just one belt it was a no go, I have brought belts from parts stores it was a no go. Those matched PIX belts were the fix no more slippage issues. Its a balancing act to get good performance out of it, you can get things to free and its a no go. I did change the spring on the forward reverse leaver to a stiffer spring that locked it in better. If your PTO leaver does not move free (that's a common issue) you need to address that. I made a post on this but the archives are down.

One of mine had a 8 hp Briggs and the other had a 7 hp Kohler. They are both 4 speed models with different sized sheaves. They are old. I have not changed speeds or encountered much belt slippage. It makes sense that the 2 belt version could transmit more horsepower but is it desirable?

It is important to keep the tightening system working freely and lubricated.

Mine are both running 6.5 Predators which have proven to be excellent (almost) direct replacements.

I have a couple of old carcasses for parts, I will check pulley sizes. I think they are later models though. They were both electric start.

Reactions: JWA
You can't run two belts on a Horse since the pulleys aren't the same sizes. They are different to provide a high and low range by moving the belt from one pair to the other. Using two belts at once will wear them out very quickly and would soak up a bunch of power.
The old troy built tillers did use two belts,. Stan

I am having a hard time believing they meant to change speeds with the pulleys (moving belts). I see it can be done but not the reasoning behind it. I have ran just one belt it was a no go, I have brought belts from parts stores it was a no go. Those matched PIX belts were the fix no more slippage issues. Its a balancing act to get good performance out of it, you can get things to free and its a no go. I did change the spring on the forward reverse leaver to a stiffer spring that locked it in better. If your PTO leaver does not move free (that's a common issue) you need to address that. I made a post on this but the archives are down.
Well believe it because it's a fact. Ive made a pretty good heap of pocket change rebuilding Troy Bilt Horse tillers over the last 20 years. That doesn't qualify me as an expert but I know them better than most.
The single belt , so called 4 speed tillers came about when Troy tried to make them into a more universal machine. The tiller unit became detachable and equipment such as generators and wood splitters attached to the rear, snow plows to the front and a host of other attachments. The original 2 speeds were too slow for plowing snow and travellings around the yard so they used two different sized shieves top and bottom and drove the transmission with one belt instead of two. It takes all of 10 seconds for somebody who knows what they are doing to move the belt from the low speed tilling pulleys to the high speed set or vis attached pics are the 4 speed PTO type horse I bought new in 1982. Single belt in the high speed pulleys.

Attachments

• 0424241436.jpg
    0424241436.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 0424241435a.jpg
    0424241435a.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Everything works great, just slips once the tines try to dig in. I grew up running one of these, adjustments or new belts always fixed the slipping.
Mine has been a community tiller the carb has been knocked off quite a few times. The good out of this when asked to use it I would say its broke and not lie. Its a urge thing it may set for a few years then I get the urge to use it, now that I got the belts figurad back out I am using it
Well believe it because it's a fact. Ive made a pretty good heap of pocket change rebuilding Troy Bilt Horse tillers over the last 20 years. That doesn't qualify me as an expert but I know them better than most.
The single belt , so called 4 speed tillers came about when Troy tried to make them into a more universal machine. The tiller unit became detachable and equipment such as generators and wood splitters attached to the rear, snow plows to the front and a host of other attachments. The original 2 speeds were too slow for plowing snow and travellings around the yard so they used two different sized shieves top and bottom and drove the transmission with one belt instead of two. It takes all of 10 seconds for somebody who knows what they are doing to move the belt from the low speed tilling pulleys to the high speed set or vis attached pics are the 4 speed PTO type horse I bought new in 1982. Single belt in the high speed pulleys.
That looks just like mine I have always ran two belts, Maybe I thought it broke a belt and added another. Yes attachments can be added to mine. It did not perform well with a belt from a auto parts store.

Last edited:
Everything works great, just slips once the tines try to dig in. I grew up running one of these, adjustments or new belts always fixed the slipping.
It won't slip when things are right. Mine has a 7HP Kohler and it will kill the engine and not slip

It won't slip when things are right. Mine has a 7HP Kohler and it will kill the engine and not slip
Oh I agree. My faimly always had Troy Builts and I grew up behind them.

Just had everything apart again, sitting on a 5 gal bucket in front of it as I type this.

Bent the lever a little bit so it's not hitting the shroud, rechecked that everything moves as it should. Still slipping.

Going to try smaller belts at this point.

It's bafflener than a MF'er :unsure:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back