Troy Built Horse Question...

Well believe it because it's a fact. Ive made a pretty good heap of pocket change rebuilding Troy Bilt Horse tillers over the last 20 years. That doesn't qualify me as an expert but I know them better than most.
The single belt , so called 4 speed tillers came about when Troy tried to make them into a more universal machine. The tiller unit became detachable and equipment such as generators and wood splitters attached to the rear, snow plows to the front and a host of other attachments. The original 2 speeds were too slow for plowing snow and travellings around the yard so they used two different sized shieves top and bottom and drove the transmission with one belt instead of two. It takes all of 10 seconds for somebody who knows what they are doing to move the belt from the low speed tilling pulleys to the high speed set or vis attached pics are the 4 speed PTO type horse I bought new in 1982. Single belt in the high speed pulleys.
Well said, I have had mine since 1986, I was 15 years old and bought it new myself. And has paid for itself many times, as I did custom work with it in a 30 mile radius. Maybe on its 3rd belt, but second set of tines.

Well believe it because it's a fact. Ive made a pretty good heap of pocket change rebuilding Troy Bilt Horse tillers over the last 20 years. That doesn't qualify me as an expert but I know them better than most.
The single belt , so called 4 speed tillers came about when Troy tried to make them into a more universal machine. The tiller unit became detachable and equipment such as generators and wood splitters attached to the rear, snow plows to the front and a host of other attachments. The original 2 speeds were too slow for plowing snow and travellings around the yard so they used two different sized shieves top and bottom and drove the transmission with one belt instead of two. It takes all of 10 seconds for somebody who knows what they are doing to move the belt from the low speed tilling pulleys to the high speed set or vis attached pics are the 4 speed PTO type horse I bought new in 1982. Single belt in the high speed pulleys.
I may be done with mine for the year, when I get the time I am going to take one belt off. I have a manual I copied off the net I will go back and read it. : ) Thanks

You can't run two belts on a Horse since the pulleys aren't the same sizes. They are different to provide a high and low range by moving the belt from one pair to the other. Using two belts at once will wear them out very quickly and would soak up a bunch of power.

Only very early troy-builts took a single belt and you switched pulley for hi-lo range.

Horse models take matched set of two belts.

Owners manual p.93

1 troy built belts.png

Mine has been a community tiller the carb has been knocked off quite a few times. The good out of this when asked to use it I would say its broke and not lie. Its a urge thing it may set for a few years then I get the urge to use it, now that I got the belts figurad back out I am using it

That looks just like mine I have always ran two belts, Maybe I thought it broke a belt and added another. Yes attachments can be added to mine. It did not perform well with a belt from a auto parts store.
There were times Dad wished he had bought the wrap around bumper for it because of that carburetor and aircleaner.

The last two speed, 2 belt drive Horse was tiller #314150 built in February 1978. All horse tillers after that are 4-speed single belt drive.
I checked my serial # its 836678. Curiosity has got me when I find time I will take a belt off. I don't use it much at all. Since I put new belts (2) on it, its done a good job. I used it yesterday its back to slipping. Grrrrrrrrrr!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back