Trying to figure out a D17 hydraulic issue...

Will Herring

So I've got a buddy who has a D17 that he doesn't know a ton about. It has a front end loader, and it runs. Apparently the front loader works just fine, but he has a rear blade for it but when he puts it on, it won't lift the blade up off the ground. He tells me several years ago it used to work, but one day it quit working so they took the blade off and have just been using the front bucket.

I don't know anything about D-17s (my knowledge stops at WD-45 stuff), but I had him send me some pictures (it'll be an hour drive for me to go investigate in person, so want to get some info in advance). Looks like a similar setup to a WD-45 with a 445 loader with the hydraulic pump run off the crank. So I'm assuming there's 2 hydraulic reservoirs? Anything simple to look at that would make the rear lift arms not work, like low fluid or stuck linkages or known issues with hydraulic pumps?

CzL9pnL.png

nqEf1cn.png

WwKl80M.png

ws2GqQe.png

nIHT467.png

So I've got a buddy who has a D17 that he doesn't know a ton about. It has a front end loader, and it runs. Apparently the front loader works just fine, but he has a rear blade for it but when he puts it on, it won't lift the blade up off the ground. He tells me several years ago it used to work, but one day it quit working so they took the blade off and have just been using the front bucket.

I don't know anything about D-17s (my knowledge stops at WD-45 stuff), but I had him send me some pictures (it'll be an hour drive for me to go investigate in person, so want to get some info in advance). Looks like a similar setup to a WD-45 with a 445 loader with the hydraulic pump run off the crank. So I'm assuming there's 2 hydraulic reservoirs? Anything simple to look at that would make the rear lift arms not work, like low fluid or stuck linkages or known issues with hydraulic pumps?

CzL9pnL.png

nqEf1cn.png

WwKl80M.png

ws2GqQe.png

nIHT467.png
From your pictures, unless someone has done some plumbing we can't see, the loader hydraulics use a front pump and have a reservoir in the frame. The rear hydraulics are from the tractor's internal pump and reservoir. First thing is to check the reservoir in the tractor. I believe the hydraulic and power director are checked with the same dipstick on that one (different series of D17s had different fill/check points). His Operator's Manual should tell him for certain.

From your pictures, unless someone has done some plumbing we can't see, the loader hydraulics use a front pump and have a reservoir in the frame. The rear hydraulics are from the tractor's internal pump and reservoir. First thing is to check the reservoir in the tractor. I believe the hydraulic and power director are checked with the same dipstick on that one (different series of D17s had different fill/check points). His Operator's Manual should tell him for certain.
Correct. This is a series IV, which, tragically, was ordered with the snap coupler! Operation of either remote lever should verify pump operation.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Any oil recommendations for filling if it is low? Just standard Hy-Trans these days?

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Any oil recommendations for filling if it is low? Just standard Hy-Trans these days?
Check hydraulic oil using the dipstick with a hex head to the front and left of the transmission gear shift lever. D17 Series IV takes 24 quarts in that compartment (separate from the transmission which is the dipstick ahead and to the right of the gear shift). Also make sure both those rear levers (TB and position control) are pushed all the way forward.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back