Trying to get a burnt IH tractor to a good home

jimbrain

New User
I apologize that this is my first post here, but I hope folks can provide some assistance.

This is John's tractor. He, with his wife Nancy, bought this tractor used many years ago used. The story goes that they, newlyweds at the time, eschewed a loan (not sure if they did not have collateral or someone told them loans were to be avoided) and skimped and saved in every way possible to buy this unit. John was a mechanic at a IH dealer, so I suspect the deal was sweetened a bit.

He farmed a couple hundred acres with it in the 1970's and 80s, supplanting the income with his work as a mechanic, first at the IH dealer and then later in the automotive business. Eventually, he retired from both farming and then from automotive repair.

The tractor rested peacefully in the big barn at his parents home, and when they both passed, the machinery was sold, save for a few special items, including the tractor. It held a special place, being the largest non-combine machine on the farm, the first farm machine he had purchased.

Alas, the barn was in the country, with the old home rented. One night, the old barn caught fire, with the tractor inside. Though not many items were left at the farm, the unit and a few other keepsake items were severely damaged. I think this was in 2017 or 2018.

It took a toll on John, but he felt the unit was still salvageable, even after the damage. He towed it and stored it at a separate location, with the eventual plan to restore.

The fire might have affected him more than he let on. In any case, he started having health issues in mid 2020, and passed away in July of this year.

Though the tractor has sentimental value to the family, they have pictures and memories but no need to keep a tractor like this, restored or not.

At this point, I should introduce myself. I'm John's son and oldest child, so I'm taking on the task of handling these items.
Honestly, my knowledge centers around the IH/Farmall models up to the H/M, not much beyond, I was originally sure the unit was a 1026, but when I googled, I see there's a 1206, so perhaps I have my numbers transposed. I am almost positive it was a Hydro, though, and I am also almost positive it has the "International" naming on the side, so I'd vote for it being an International 1026, not a Farmall 1026. That may have been why my Dad saved the unit and planned to restore it.

Either way, my job is to move it along on it's journey. When it was just a regular burnt IH tractor, I thought it would be best to have someone haul it away for scrap. But, if it's a 1026 and there's a chance some of the parts can be salvaged, I really should try to connect it with someone who can get some value out of it.

I didn't think it all that worthwhile to snap a bunch of pictures of it, so I just have one, below. I can grab more if needed:

https://railsled.shutterfly.com/pictures/142

(And yes, there's more old machines in the rest of the pictures, and I'm happy to discuss the rest of them [the F20 in building 4 is mine, though, and I'm trying to find someone to restore it]. There's a TD14 in there with a bad final drive that needs to find a good home, etc., but that's not the point of this post)

Creating some urgency to this quest is the sale of the property this unit currently sits on (it's the old family homestead, and the sale was in process before Dad passed away. I'm not sure where he was planning to move these items to, and we'll never know now). In any event, it needs to go somewhere soon.

So, if you know someone who needs this unit, I hope you can pass on this note. I am not sure I will be able to monitor this forum all the time or if it will alert me to messages, but my email is [email protected], and my goal is not monetary gain, but just finding it a good home. I hope you all can help by letting others know.

The unit is currently housed in mid-state Illinois, just outside of Danville.

Jim

This post was edited by jimbrain on 08/14/2021 at 09:22 pm.

If the tires were burnt off of it, it has a poor chance of having value other than Iron. If the fluids are still looking like they are used but have no
burnt smell, and there is paint on castings it could be saved, but the challenge is pretty solid. Jim

I would tend to agree, which is why my first thought was to simply call the scrapper. But, if there's someone who needs some part off the unit to fix or restore a 1026, it might have value beyond scrap, assuming the part is still usable.

I doubt my Dad would have hauled the thing 20 miles to another location if it had no value other than scrap. There are a number of other items in the barn that are still sitting there, pushed together for scrap. Since he was a mechanic, I assume he did as you note, determined the fluids were indicative, and thus took the chance.

I will agree some portions got too hot and cannot be saved. But, I'd hate to call the scrapper and see it towed away only to tell the story and have someone scream they could have used some piece of it to restore another unit.

Jim

Since according to Tractor Data there were less than 2500 total built and then of that only some of them being hydros I would think it would be some what of a collectable tractor. So fixing might be a possibility. Finding that person and the extent of the damage may limit it on the price and how fixable it is. If the tires are off and the oil gone or smells burnt less hope for it than if it is not.

Is this the IH in question?
cvphoto97556.png

Jimb welcome to YT! Always adds difficulty when a fire consumes things unintentionally. I have some training in fire
damage assessment at refineries. There looks to be an aluminum part above the engine that has not completely melted.
That is a good sign, the melting point of aluminum is much lower than steel. However, likely the hottest part of the fire on
the tractor would have been from the rear tires burning. If I was looking to buy the unit for parts I would look around the
rear housing for any aluminum parts or where they may have been and assess value or use ability of parts by that. And
also to condition of the oil in the rear case.
There is a free Classified section on here I would suggest posting the equipment you want to sell there. In particular this
tractor and the TD14. Part of the problem is the weight of the units, it is costly to move something that is valued at nearly
scrap metal price. The is also another forum called Red Power that might be a place to post this. Hope you can find a
way to pass on your good intentions. Good luck!
YT classified

I'll put it in Classifieds, though I am not intending to sell it, just give it away. My main concern is that it's probably only worth the haul for a few folks with specific needs, and they might not be here, so any way folks can pass the word would be appreciated.

Jim

I would question that suggesting a production number of 2500 makes it collectible, it would be my opinion that that is not so. I have just not seen IH units at that level really go for big money. Yes if we were talking about a running useable machine maybe the lower production number than a machine of which 200,000 were built maybe you could argue it was more collectible. If the number built was 10 - 20 yes, it could be possible that it would be worth trying to save it. Even at that trying to bring it back would be a huge investment. I think it is simply a machine for salvage parts at best.

Used Red I didn't say it was highly collectable just somewhat of a collectable model since there were only about 2500 total made. Then with probably a good portion of them out of use in parts some more as hydro's and being probably the majority of them being gear drive units, would reduce the number of those left, as hydro's being maybe the more rare of the model. I don't know for sure though hydro's didn't have a very good reputation around my area so not all that many around of any model period.

Having personally dealt with this type of situation with my parents I can say this much. Barn fires get extremely hot. My dad had a barn fire that burned up a Farmall 450 and a Farmall M about 3 years ago. Burned the tires off the M completely and burned 3.75 tires off the 450. Both tractors any aluminum or pot metal parts burned right off it. The only things that really survived in their shape were the large castings. The steering and throttle shafts on both tractors were drooping from the heat and when we attempted to drag them out of the remains of the barn we found that the fire actually welded the axles to the bearings.

Basically what I'm getting at is unless somebody on here quips up real quick I'd just scrap it. In the case my dad's Farmall M I was really really really tempted to haul it home and rebuild it but then I realized just what I was looking at damage wise and knew that you could never trust any of the castings on the tractor again even if they looked "OK" My 2 cents worth.

Yep, I can't argue the point. I was already looking up scrapper numbers when I took the pics, but someone told me I should at least reach out. At the very least, I can say I did and what happened happened.

JIMBRAIN - WHILE guys are still trying to figure out if a 1026 is Rare here, try getting a posting
account and put your tractor on THE RED POWER MAGAZINE forum. They have a strict No FOR SALE ad policy
but since you aren't selling it there's always someone on RPM's forum looking for a hydro.
Just google Red Power Magazine and it should pop right up. Lots of guys on that forum around cental
Illinois.

(quoted from post at 07:00:03 08/17/21) JIMBRAIN - WHILE guys are still trying to figure out if a 1026 is Rare here, try getting a posting
account and put your tractor on THE RED POWER MAGAZINE forum. They have a strict No FOR SALE ad policy
but since you aren't selling it there's always someone on RPM's forum looking for a hydro.
Just google Red Power Magazine and it should pop right up. Lots of guys on that forum around cental
Illinois.

I did already. It's under IH with the title "Burnt IH Tractor"

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/142363-burnt-ih-tractor/?tab=comments#comment-1594479

This post was edited by jimbrain on 08/17/2021 at 06:29 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back