Trying to understand cab/lights wiring connection to light switch on farmall 826 diesel

Farmall wiring diagram & new switch panelWiring diagram referenced in the post --->

So i am trying to rerun wire to restore the wiring harness, maybe using the oem lighting switch, or alternatively the rocket switch dock shown in the above photos.

I am somewhat confused in the wiring diagram as to what the "breakaway connector socket" (look at #8 on fender diagram) does. It looks as though its just a hub for connecting two sides (right/left) of a certain set of lights (headlights/floodlights/etc) from where a single wire then goes to the lighting switch to control both the right and left sides of the flood or headlights. so if I understand correctly it has the same function as basically using a wirenut to tie 2 lights together with a jumper wire which is then connected to the wire which is then switched hot/off?

Im asking because i lost this a long time ago and if that is all it does, i see no reason to purchase another when i can just use a wirenut or equivalent to connect the 3 wires together.

A wire nut will allow dirt and debris in the connection thus making for a poor connection over time. I solder all joints in wires on tractors for lights so I'm not going back in a year or so to redo the same problem over. Solder shrink tube then tape or in some cases I use that liquid electrical tape over the joint then shrink tube over that. Seems to work well. I just run a wire from the lights in the fender down to the frame/casting and solder to the wire from the other fender with a wire to the front going to the switch. I don't worry about if it looks original just so it works . This is on both an 806and 856 both of which are the same as your 826 minus the german diesel in it. I also added a pair of LED lights on the front at the bottom of the radiator on an angler I have mounted for my snow plow lift. IT bolts right across on the top weight bracket bolt holes. They set just outside the grill so it will come out easily. Makes a lot of difference working at night. I'm thinking of adding a couple of them to the back and a plug for trailed equipment in night travel. Though not on the road after dark much. More in the spring or fall though. I have my front added lights so the fendre lights are on bright when they come on and go off when I move the switch one position and the rest are left on then off for all lights. Don't remember Just how I did it now. I have our 1466 set up the same way with a light bar across the front above the grill just below the front lights. That will light up across a half mile when spreading fertilizer or working ground. the rear lights on it are on a separate switch in the back of the cab. I used the original switch in the dash for both tractors.

The “breakaway” is just a universal “plug in” to power a light(s) on an implement. Used break-away It is named that because if the implement came disconnected the wire could “break-away” from the tractor. The same terminology is applied to plug in hydraulic couplers.
The next step up from solder and shrink tube mentioned by Cat guy is crimp on connectors that have shrink tube sealing sleeves on them. I highly suggest you look into these and a quality crimping pliers. Using a twist on wire nut in automotive/equipment applications is a BIG NO NO. In my opinion you are just asking for future problems by doing that.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back