Valve refacing machine

jimg.allentown

I have an old (probably VERY old) Van Dorn valve refacing machine. Over the years, it has done a good job, but now
that I need it again, the collet that holds the valve has broken. I noticed that the very same machine was sold
under the Black and Decker name as well. The machines are indentical - chapter and verse!

By chance would anybody on this forum have any old broken down valve grinders that might still have a good collet
in them? Repair parts seem to be made of unobtainium. A search only found something that looks somewhat similar,
but not similar enough to pay $350 plus tax and shipping to try out. By the time I spend that much I would be as
well off to buy another machine.

email is open in case anybody actually has the piece I am looking for.

You can still get a parts list from B&D, although nothing will be available as you say. But it can be useful when these parts surface to check the part number so you know what youre getting. There are a couple different collets so you need to get the size range for the valves you do the most of. The size that came with the machine will be stamped on the tag, i.e. 9/16 ( maximum stem diameter) . I got a smaller collet with the spacer (.250 dia.)from landmesser tools in Michigan. That was a multi-brand catalog that happened to sell B&D stuff. Im sure it was NOS, but it was still in their catalog. Doesnt the seller of the one you found know anything about it? How big is the one you have?

I had a complete valve refacing and valve seat grinder.

I only used it once to do a valve job on my 1962 Jag XKE.

I sold all my antique tools, cleaned out the shop, I made $1500.

Then bought a JD 275 with 48 inch mower and 30 inch tiller for $1500.

Then I turned my trash into cash..

I Can't ask for a better tiller.

Good luck finding parts.

cvphoto130961.jpg

I have had this machine for at least 20 years. I got it on eBay and met the seller halfway between my home and his. That was somewhere in Maryland. I live in southeastern PA and he was from somewhere in the D.C. area of Virginia. That kind of lets out getting more information from him.

The tag on the machine said 5/8 NW.

I don't know if this machine was made by Van Dorn for Black and Decker or made by B & D for Van Dorn. Maybe even made by another outfit for the both of them?

I dont know where you are looking but I just found a bunch of them, none as high as the price you stated. Maybe if you are searching Van Dorn instead of Black and Decker that could have been the problem.

I have bought supplies and machine parts from these people. Always good to talk to. They know their machines.

Woodward Equipment https://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/

I have an old B+D valve grinder that I replaced with a newer style many years ago. It has been just sitting and taking up room. I would sell it for any offer you throw at me if it would help you out. Al

I am feeling better, but not totally out of the woods. I am back to work and trying to play catch up. Getting injured during the busy season wasnt good. I will be in touch with you soon. Al

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back