Vermeer 504 Baler Experts?

DanielW

How do,

I'm wondering if any of the old Vermeer baler experts still read these forums. There used to be a few guys on here who really knew their stuff (HayDR, KEY, and 504BalerGuy).

I was browsing through the parts manual for my father's Massey 1440 (rebadged Vermeer 504G) and noticed some accessory options I'd never seen before. Most interestingly: a silage knife kit. Doesn't look like there's much to it - just a gate reinforcement and roll scrapers.

Doing some more digging, I see a post on here (link below) by HayDR where he mentions folks in the UK using the old F and G 504's for baling haylage. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about what modifications were done to the balers, and how they performed? All you hear about on these old 504's is how awful they are to start a bale if the moisture is even slightly above perfect, so I assumed haylage would be impossible. I've never had problems with ours starting, but I suspect that's more good luck than good management.

I have a wrapper, and my father does just a few alfalfa haylage bales each year - probably between 15 & 30 - Just to have a little higher protein stuff on hand for a few late calvers. Doing it now, I either need to haul my Deere baler 130 km south from the other farm, or have a custom guy roll them up for him, but most guys around here are (understandably) too busy to make a special trip for only a few bales. Would be very nice if I could use the Vermeer instead.
504G Haylage

Going by memory here, but I think by the time the F and G models came out there were all open throat balers. It was the earlier closed throat models that gave the most trouble, B and C that I'm most familiar with. I'm not exactly sure the first model with an open throat design. That being said I've not made baleage and those older balers surely don't work as well as newer models, but I THINK it can be done.

This post was edited by MJMJ on 01/06/2023 at 08:05 am.

F was the first good, open throat modern baler design.

My 605f bales wetter then I should bale without much problem never really understood the issues some have on that, it struggles starting a bale with very very dry hay.

Paul

Thanks folks, Sounds like it might be worth trying. Because the gates and sidewalls on these are a little light to begin with, I'll probably fab up some roll scrapers that also help reinforce/hold the sidewalls together.

MJ is right - the G is open throat, so nowhere near as bad as the older ones. Just like Paul I too have never had any issue baling hay wetter than I should - Only starting trouble I've had is in dry, short grass that's been tedded and facing every which way.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back