Vermeer 605F baler question

Alan K

I have a Vermeer 605F round baler. I remember reading that it is best to have the baler running when opening the tailgate. Is there any particular reason why? Perhaps to keep the belts tracking correctly? Seems when I dump the bale out, when it touches the ground it slows the belts up and pulls the tractor rpm down some. Don't care to do that each bale if I don't have too lol.

I ran a F for 20 years. I shut the pto off almost everytime I kicked a bale out. The land I farm is very hilly so most of the time I had to back around to find a decent place for the bale so it wouldn't roll down the hill. I didn't want the u-joints rattling.

Sounds like a plan to me. I had tried it with it off a time or two and it seemed to be fine.

ran a f custom bailing for 20+ never shut it to dump it did not hurt a thing for the belts to stop they are a little slack anyway if i shut the PTO off for each drop i would have been replacing the PTO clutch every year just ideal down a little and dump and go back then time was money at one point did well over 10,000 bales a year rebuilt baler every three or four years ruff ground was the hardest on me and the baler some guys sure have ruff fields.i have no idea why you would want to stop it it just puts more stress on everything stopping and starting all the time but do what you want its your machine you pay the bills

How much "pull down" are we talking about here?

A momentary "grunt" from the tractor is nothing to worry about.

If the tractor is lugging down for several seconds and blowing black smoke, then something else is wrong. Have someone watch when dumping the bales and see what's happening.

I'm going to guess that it happens when the bale rolls out and is touching both the ground and the belts at the same time. But it should only be a momentary hesitation, it shouldn't be enough to hurt anything.
That being said, the manual for my SI says to shut off the PTO to dump the bale, then turn it back on before closing the tailgate to center the belts back up. I've tried both leaving it running and shutting it off, but I usually shut it off just because I get a slightly neater bale. But I'm not rolling thousands every year.

That is my assumption as well. I only bale about 100 bales a year. Just wondered if anyone had the same problem with the same
baler.

I only bake 40-100 with mine a year, I shut it off nearly every time. Hasnt seemed to matter.

Paul

Can you tell I have an Apple device? Their spell checker converts bale to bake -every- single time. Sigh.....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back