Vulcan Plow Jointer

jimapplegate

New User
I have an old part which has Vulcan Plow Company Evansville Ind. on it on one side, the other side has Vulcan Plow Jointer , R and Left side, on it. It came with a 100 year old wagon we bought in Kentucky. Also in the wagon were some tobacco farm tools. Can anyone elaborate on what a Jointer was and what it was used for?
Thanks, Jim

The jointers I'm familiar with were on 1950s Dearborn and John Deere plows. The Dearborn jointers were bolted to the rolling coulter assembly and skimmed a small slice of soil and trash alongside the coulter and flipped it in front of the moldboard to be buried. The Deere plows had the jointers mounted on a shank that was bolted rigidly to the plow frame, but were still positioned to skim alongside the rolling coulter. The idea of moving that slice of trash ahead of the moldboard was to made sure it got covered by the soil roll instead of thrown off the end of the moldboard and left partially uncovered. My grandfather preferred to use added-on curved trashboards mounted above the shin of his JD plow instead of the jointers that had come with it.

The jointers I'm familiar with were on 1950s Dearborn and John Deere plows. The Dearborn jointers were bolted to the rolling coulter assembly and skimmed a small slice of soil and trash alongside the coulter and flipped it in front of the moldboard to be buried. The Deere plows had the jointers mounted on a shank that was bolted rigidly to the plow frame, but were still positioned to skim alongside the rolling coulter. The idea of moving that slice of trash ahead of the moldboard was to made sure it got covered by the soil roll instead of thrown off the end of the moldboard and left partially uncovered. My grandfather preferred to use added-on curved trashboards mounted above the shin of his JD plow instead of the jointers that had come with it.
Thanks, this fits the part I have as there are adjustable mounting holes in it. Again, thanks.

All coulters and joiners do is help to plug up in trash last time I plowed with coulters. Now most of them are off couldn't tell you where they are in the iron pile some place.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back