He's talking about the bell up by your username. It if you have alerts turned on for whatever category of alert you are interested in, a little red square appears there with how many alerts you've received lately. They go away by themselves after awhile. So if you are watching a topic, even if you aren't looking at it right now, that bell will show a new notification has come in. You have to have alerts turned on for watched topics. Other uses is if someone likes your post, and you have alerts for reactions turned on, it will show that too. It's for people who are looking at the forums but not necessarily at their watched topics. Like if you answered a few people's tractor questions, you don't have to go back and check if they replied to you again, the alert will pop up there on the bell when they do.

@john in la,
Next to the envelope, next to your username, upper right on a PC.
But depends on what all alerts you have checked for your Preferences.

1710617713564.png

What is the notifications bell ????

Right now I see the red box with new in it if it is a post I have not read or a new reply has been added since my last visit.

A email that something has happened is pointless to me as I seldom check my email. I can understand Chris might benefit from a email notification because when a problem happens he needs to be alerted but a normal forum member can just visit the site to see whats going on.
Also, John, if you start using the Notifications bell, the drop down list will have a little black dot for your unread notices, which will turn to a blank circle once you review that notification. steve

While that is a tempting idea, I don't think we have anything set up like that. Maybe a side effect of some other setting. Did you get a notification about this post??

I like the “Allerts” I have them all set to hit my alert notifications. This way any topic I reply to automatically is “Watched” and the number goes up anytime someone replies in that thread. And when you click it the list drops down with the thread title, who replied and a link to the thread. I opted out of email alerts, I am on here often enough to check the alerts and I don’t want this cluttering up my email. I think if I do choose to click the actual “Watch” button in a Thread I do receive emails. In my opinion all this should benefit in the “Help/How to Guide” I seen a lot of promises of how the development of that was supposed to progress soon. I check into it occasionally and although I don’t look real close, I don’t see much being added!

The promises were me if I recall. Haven't had time myself beyond collecting a few notes.
It would be nice to be able to direct members to it instead of typing and explanation of the “Watch function” Conversations (PM’s) seeing post history, Etc.
One thing I might add is I see some explanations already placed there are based on the PC setup. Not sure if you plan to cover scenarios beyond that. Otherwise a general note explaining other configurations may be shown by (phone, tablet etc.) would probably be a good idea.

What number is that you speak of?

What number is that you speak of?
If you don’t have “Alerts” set it will not show. The “Bell” turns red and has a number by it showing the number of new alerts you have not checked. Your screen shot in reply 22 shows it a “1” by the bell.
Edit: Oops, bell doesn’t turn red only the box the number is in as shown. I thought it may be different on my phone more condensed but it is not.

Last edited:
It would be nice to be able to direct members to it instead of typing and explanation of the “Watch function” Conversations (PM’s) seeing post history, Etc.
One thing I might add is I see some explanations already placed there are based on the PC setup. Not sure if you plan to cover scenarios beyond that. Otherwise a general note explaining other configurations may be shown by (phone, tablet etc.) would probably be a good idea.
I will forward this idea to the team. I know it's the intention, but everyone has other irons in the fire for the most parts. I don't think I will get to it this weekend even though I've collected copies of the help stuff you guys (and myself) have given people. Mostly what we all have answered seems to be the important parts of using the forum and the bulk of questions people have.

I must be the odd duck on these forums. I come on here, read the threads I want, reply if I choose, skip over the rest, and go about my business. Later on, I'll come back on, read the threads I want, reply if I choose, and skip over the rest. The threads I read the first time will show if there's new posts on them and I can read those if I choose. I don't need filters, "watch" lists, "ignore" lists, "sort by" lists, "alerts", or any of this other stuff.
Why does this have to be so complicated? Seems to me that some folks are way overthinking this.

But maybe it's just me. End of rant. Sorry.

@Rich'sToys .
A lot of the features you mention come with the forum standard software.
Some of us are curious as to what exactly all those new to us features actually do.
When I buy something new, I like to know what all it can do and why it is made that way.

Especially in a new vehicle.
For decades we all got by just fine with a vinyl bench seat in our sedan.
Now you have six way power adjust, heated and cooled, massaging, etc.seats.
Power adjust pedals, tilt steering, automatic headlights, zoned hvac, etc.
Do you not fiddle around and adjust to your liking or just leave it as delivered?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back