Watt-hour meter

Doug-Iowa

Was given this meter to add to my large collection of electrical artifacts. Different than my other meters, it needs no meter socket. Direct wire under the cover on the bottom. I can't seem to find any info on it that would indicate its amp capacity. The 15 amp marking seems odd to me, the lugs would accept #2 copper easily so I think it is probably 60 or 100 amp capacity meter.

cvphoto160776.jpg

Be nice to find installation instructions to know for sure. Any wattmeter experts around?

Two 120 legs in and two out. Neutral/ground was hooked up in cabinet that meter was on top of.
I would say 30amp service. Multiplier for the dials is one and the arbor gear turned 27 7/9 times to move the dial one position.

Ive got one like that but one wire in and one wire out. Seems to be a 120v meter rated at 15 amps. They were popular surface mount meters used to power the bodegos down the lane in Mexico and other developing countries.

Thanks! For some reason I could find that website but not that page. Further searching shows my meter was made in 1956. I think I'll power it up and use it to run the lights in my glass insulator display case.

That meter will need 240V to spin. It is an old 'A' base meter as opposed to a common socket meter of today.
Take the cover off and you will have 4 screws for wires.
Let's call them 1, 2, 3, and 4.
#1 will be 120V in, and #4 will be the corresponding 120V out.
#2 will be your second 120V in and #3 will be the corresponding 120V out.

Rich

That is not quite true. You can make a 240v work.

A pic with the cover off will help. If there is just one
pot coil link you can remove the link under the cover. Energize #1 line side and check the two screws from where you
removed the link with a fluke. The screw that is not
energized is where you can hook up a small wire and
connect it to ground. With this method you will have
one wire in #1 and one out #4 and the neutral to
ground. This only works with meters that have one link. If it has two it gets more involved. Im making it sound more complicated than it is but it
will work. Also: you will probably need at least a
60watt bulb to make the meter spin.
The best electric meter to use for a lamp is an old 2wire 15amp one but all of them can be made to work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back