Welding spring steel

Ozlander

I need to weld a broken tine on a spring tooth harrow.
Do I need to re-temper it and how do I do it?

Doing a weld across the break will not hold long if at all. But if you have a piece of steel and weld it along the spring it will hold for a while. I have welded up moire then one old car spring and had them hold for a good long time if you go along the way it runs but never hold if you try to just weld where it broke and do not even try to weld across the break or it will break right next to the weld

(quoted from post at 15:30:08 04/03/16) Not likely that it will be a successful repair...

Maybe so, but the one I did two years ago is still holding.

More worried about proper temper than if it will work.
May have lucked out about the temper last time. Thought it was time to ask.

If you welded one two yrs ago why not do it again just like you did the first one you said its still working quit worring about temper you have no way of testing it weld it up and go worst that can happen is it will break.

I have welded a few with some success. Preheat, post heat.peening and the correct electrode is a must. I seriously doubt you have the right electrode. Ever heard of Super Missleweld?

Why not just get a new one? There is probably a couple inches wore off the broken one anyway. I had to replace 13 on mine this spring. I think they were $6.00/each. As soon as there is 1.5 inches
wore off I replace them. Harrow does a lot nicer job.

Welding spring steel can be done, but not with any kind of a welder you'd likely own. It is most likely 1065-1070 high carbon steel, and will be decarburized at the weld point. After the tine breaks there it will go through a tractor tire on the next round. Spend a few bucks and get a new one.

What kind of equipment and usage are you talking about?
I welded one of mine three years ago. Still holding.
BUT, it's a ~6 footer I use behind a 9N for my garden/food plots.
Not a modern, high horsepower piece of equipment by any means.
That would make a big difference in my confidence level.
Not to mention tire cost should it break.
I would definitely "find" it with a rear tire. Just my luck! :)

I welded a leaf spring years ago with 7020 I think it was. Heated it red hot after the weld and let it cool slow. Been holding for years now on a golf cart used all the time.

Years ago, a neighbor would weld a piece of another spring tooth on the back side of the broken one, several inches long. Almost never failed. I could send a picture if it would help.

When working at a canning company in the 70's I welded part of a truck spring to the bottom of a sweet corn pusher as a wear plate. I made some beautiful welds. I was pretty proud. The pusher pushed the sweet corn into the conveyer going into the factory.
I had also set up a Fox Chopper to take the husks, etc., leaving the factory and blow the chopped husks into a waiting farmers truck. It did not take long and I found my chunk of spring in the magnet of the in-chute going into the chopper.
The magnet save my job. I was ignorant about welding spring steel. Paul

Old

This was borrowed from a neighbour.

Use stainless rod. I've repaired broken vehicle leaf springs with it with good results.

Even better if you happen to have two broken leaves and join the good bits at the centre bolt hole.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back