What air compressor needed for plasma cutter

bc

Hello guys. After Hdonly got me started on those cheap 99 buck inverter welders, now I'm looking for one of those cheap 50 amp plasma cutters. S7 brand and others run around $276 plus/minus. Some even triple as Tig, mma/stick, and plasma cutter. However they don't have an air compressor and to get an included one then the price jumps up a few hundred bucks so not worth it for part timers like me.

Just like the inverter welder is easy to carry around, the plasma cutters are about the same size and dual voltage. However if you have to lug around a pancake compressor to with it then it isn't so portable. Read a review on one that said max input was 60 psi and his cut better at 40 psi. However it doesn't say what volume is needed.

So the question is, what kind of compressor will work with one of those? I have a few automobile tire compressors at 12v which would put out enough pressure and can probably find a small one that runs on 110v. Thanks.

I don't use a plasma cutter, but I can HIGHLY recommend this compressor:
https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-4710SQ-Compressor/dp/B07CKRLKM9

It fills its 4.7 gallon tank from empty to full in under 2 minutes and is the quietest compressor I've ever heard! They have many other models as well, depending on what your air needs are.

Regardless of what compressor you get, it is paramount to use an air drier with it. As air is pulled into the compressor, it heats up during the compression stage. The moisture in the air (humidity) then condenses inside the cooler tank, making water in your tank.

From limited research on getting a plasma cutter set up here, there are two main ways to dry the air. One is to use a refrigerant drier ($$$). The other way is to use a desiccant drier ($ to $$). Something else that some people do is to add a fair-sized coil of copper tubing between the compressor and the tank so that much of the moisture will condense in that. Add in a moisture trap with drain and you could greatly extend the life of your desiccant.

The cutter manufacturer will have minimum specs on pressure and CFM/minute. Those are minimums so feel free to go for more! Any compressor will do as long as it has the courage to pump enough air to meet the spec. Of course you don't want an ancient oil spitter.

I too like California Air Tools compressors. I have two different sizes. One I have had for about 3 years and use it alot. Still pumps just as good as when new.

I have a thermal dynamics 1/2 in machine it says max 90 psi not sure on cfm but plasma cutters do not use much air

I have a Hypertherm Max43 PC. I run a 60 gallon/3.5hp air compressor. The PC has a regulator built into the input fitting that sets mine to 70 psi. The air compressor isn't nearly as important as running dry air into it. I have a line dryer at the compressor AND one at the PC. They absolutely HATE "wet" air.

Mike

I don't have a plasma cutter but I do
have a very small California 0.6 hp 1750
rpm universal motor, oilless, universal
motor and Extremely quiet. I bought it
as portable air. Generator powers it
with easy. Great to put generator and
compressor in truck and have air where an
extension cord doesn't.

KCM if you want to chat, just click on my
email link to send an email. Next to
reply button
George

Info I have on the 70 amp one I have says 4.8CFM at 75PSI, 65 PSI minimum. That should give you an idea, so no a 12volt tire compressor won't do it.

Harbor Freights smallest plaz calls for
4.5 CFM @ 60-80 PSI. Thats in same ballpark as a dual-
voltage small Lincoln I used a few times. Tried it on a small
pancake comp, found Id run out of air before finishing a cut.
Also saw truth written here about need for dry air. It ate tips
quick.

(quoted from post at 13:12:53 02/24/21)KCM if you want to chat, just click on my
email link to send an email. Next to
reply button
George

9:30 at night -- NOW he tells me! *lol*

Thanks for the email George. Finally got around to sending a reply.

Spend the money and buy a filter designed for plasma cutters. The biggest killer of consumables is water in the
line. At work we like the people who do not need a good filter,they help pay for my check every week.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back