What impact wrench to buy?

Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

I'm looking to purchase a battery operated 1/4 and/or 3/8 drive impact wrench for my farm shop. With so many on the market and the various torques and costs involved, I have no idea what to buy. Can someone tell me what you use and are pleased with?

Milwaukee M18 Fuel impacts and drills are what I use professionally. All others are toys as far as torque is concerned.

I have a John Deere which I bought several years ago which is a 3/8 size and torque, but has a 1/2 drive. It's been great. I don't think they offer the same one anymore. If I were buying today, it would be a Milwaukee.

You won't be disappointed with a Milwaukee or Dewalt 1/4-inch impact driver. But Milwaukee seems to currently have a larger selection of 3/8 impact guns. You can choose from a wide selection of M12 or M18 tools of various sizes and torque ranges. It is amazing the torque they are getting from some of their lightweight compact impacts.

I just bought a Milwaukee 3/8 drive M18 at Fleet Farm but haven't even opened the box yet. Everything I've heard about them is super positive. I bought their M18 16 chain saw a while back and love it for little jobs. Just went out and cut some brush and small trees with it. I only have one M18 battery which will fit any M18 tool they have.

Pick your battery platform an go from there. I have the Dewalts and haven't used air tools since. Dewalt has just released new compact impacts that look impressive. Check out Torque test channel on you tube.

I have Porter Cable (cheapy), Dewalt (fair to middlin') and Makita. Makita is head and shoulders above the others. I haven't used the Milwaukees, many people swear by them, other tell me they are way overpriced for what you get. I have never had a poor Makita tool of any kind, so I trust them.

I've got a DeWalt with the 1/4 and 3/8 anvils. Not a super amount of torque, but I use it more than I ever dreamed I would.

X 2 on the Milwaukee M18.

Son mentioned to look closely when buying the package deals that give you 3 or 4 tools together for a bargain price.

Tool may look the same but may not have the same torque rating as some of the ones you buy one at a time.

1/4 impact 1400 inch lbs included in package deal.

versus

1500 inch lbs when bought separately.

Ive owned mostly DeWalt for years no problems HOWEVER if I were starting all over I RECOMMEND AND WOULD BUY MILWAUKEE. Just like what oil or spark plugs are best you will get plenty of OPINIONS on this one and all are right like mine are lol

Best wishes

John T

Where I worked(landscape), they're buying all Milwaukee fuel powered tools. I loved the 1/2 they bought for the shop. Not cheap though but worth it

Ive been quite pleased with my Dewalt, the 3/8 still surprises me on what it will take apart. I also have the half inch which has impressed as well. It puts almost the same torque out as my old ingersoll rand 3/4 pneumatic. Wont quite do the semi lugs, but I have my 1in pneumatic for those.

Asking which brand of tool to buy here is worse than asking Ford or Chevy at a car show. All you get is people telling you what they have and why its the so-called best. Any of the more major brands make good quality tools that will work well for you. If you already have battery tools, stick with that brand so you can swap batteries. Other than that they all work.

As stated below, Go with the type of tool that you have batterys for.Myself would be dewalt, If starting fresh then I would start out with M18 Milwaukee.

I am very happy with my Makita 18V tools. The tools and batteries can be bought for less money than some others.

For 1/4 work get an impact driver and use an adapter, then you have a very versatile tool. For 3/8 I like a dedicated impact. Currently I have all 18V Dewalt stuff and it serves me very well, I have no reason to trash all of it to have the latest greatest. However If I was to buy all new it would be Milwaukee 18V.

Milwaukee

I have quite a bit of them all have served me will and that's using them about everyday.

1/4" M18 is a horse if you are driving screws its the tool to have. I also have the smaller M12 I like for interior work and most smaller bolts/nuts.

I have the ratchets in M12 with the low amp hour battery's the bats are cheap enoufh I keep plenty to swap out. The guys using the higher rated amp hour bat are tearing them up most admit they use it like a pull bar and torcher them : (...

You would have never make me believe I would get addicted to them I was addicted to air and I have plenty of it. I have gone days weeks and never turn the compressor on. My power bill has dropped enoufh to pay me back for the Milwaukee tools @20 a mo. I can buy a new tool every year.

Once in awhile a air tool will be needed to get the job done. I hope what air tools I have will be the last I ever have to buy. The downside to brushless is the cost to repair them I doubt its worth it time will tell. About the only thing that would give trouble is the circuit board they are exspensive.... The brush type I could replace the brushes for $13. My first Milwaukee power tools are 11 years old in January @ 9 years I had to put brushes in them they both failed at about the same time. Both are running off the same M18 battery that's been glued back together :shock: What I like is the old and new use the same charger and battery : )

Battery tools of the past feel off quick it was wasted money you did not buy another like it. When my Milwaukee drill bit the dust I had no problem running out and buying another Milwaukee. Once I found time I investigated repairing it and I did. Its a tool you will build a relationship with...

This post was edited by Hobo,NC on 11/25/2021 at 05:55 pm.

(quoted from post at 18:20:18 11/25/21) Milwaukee M18 Fuel impacts and drills are what I use professionally. All others are toys as far as torque is concerned.

SOOOOO you are in a relationship with your Milwaukee : )

I have provided many DeWalt & Milwaukee battery powered tools to my contracting employees. Everything from a small drill/impact 1/4 to 1 Impact. Milwaukee wins.

I only use mine for personal projects...maybe once a week (not daily). I have a relatively inexpensive Ryobi 18v 3/8 drive(that matches my 10 other Ryobi 18v tools). It has amazed me. Even took off the lug nuts on an old farm wagon. Great tool so far.

I have 2 dewalts and one milwaukee. Both are good.
Milwaukee it toooo fast and tooo dang much torque, Strip heads of torx deck screws if I go too fast.

You want power and speed, Milwaukee.

Shop online, both are around $100 for a bare tool.
I use an adapter to operate milwaukee on 20v dewalt battery.

I have over 20 Ryobi 18 volt tools including a 1/2 drive impact.
I like them all and the impact does a great job.
Got two 6AH batteries, one 4AH and two 2AH for flash lights.

JT,
I started out with Milwaukee 40 years ago. Don't remember when I turned away from, milwaukee turned to crap. I went to Dewalt tools. Now I'm returning to Milwaukee.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back