What is a model 68 new holland baler worth

Fjordman

A friend is having a farm auction and has a model 68 baler in fair shape everything is there and moves but is way out of time (owner was "tinkering" with it).

It was dark when I looked at it so no pictures. I have a couple of 271's that I use and he was going to give me a shot at it before the auction.

I was wondering if anybody could estimate the value so I can say I got other opinions and show them any responses so they have realistic expectations.

They have a 55 rake also.

Thanks,

Warren

In as few words as possible, not much. As long as it's complete and not smashed to pieces because of being out of time, I think a more than generous offer would be $200. It won't bring that at the auction. Junk man will probably end up with it there.

Even here in the land of fools with healthy checking account balances they only bring scrap price. Even if they look like they
just came new from the dealer.

Not sure were you are from , but around here the older square balers seem to still have some value IF they are in good shape. IF it is
truly just a timing issue you should help him time it and run some hay thru it to see how it works? Disregarding the timing issue, and
whatever else may have led up to that,if it has been inside and paint is still on it, and not wore out I would guess it would go at auction
for between 6 and 800 Canadian here in south central Ontario. At the right auction and in really nice shape it might bring over a thousand.
However I would be a bit suspicios as to why previous owner was tinkering with timing? The rake would bring as much or more than the baler
if in decent shape.

(quoted from post at 06:40:01 10/09/23) Even here in the land of fools with healthy checking account balances they only bring scrap price. Even if they look like they
just came new from the dealer.

Exactly. The ones with the healthy checking accounts have no time or patience for dry hay, let alone small squares, let alone small squares with a 2nd generation baler. It's even too old and too slow for the ones up in the hills trying to eek out a living with old junk. They have round balers.

I would agree if its a known fact that it isn't in time and won't make a bale its a $200 to $500 machine depending on condition. But in my area (NE Kansas) ANY square baler that can be demonstrated to
make and tie a bale on a consistent basis is worth $1000. Except for the very oldest, New Holland and John Deere balers that can do this start around $1500 and up. I bought the cheapest 276 baler
I've seen sell and that was $2500 and then I spent a lot more to keep it working. Around the 276 model series and newer normally bring around $3000 and if you have a nice 326 they go for $5000+ and a
NICE 575 will go in the $10,000+ range.

A 68 in running condition would bring $1000 to $1700. Last winter I watch in amazement as a Ford baler that did work brought $1500 - good luck finding any parts for that thing. I sold my IH 47 wire
tie baler and 4 extra needles a year ago for $1000 even (shouldn't have done that) because it was completely worn out but still tied and the cost of wire had gotten so high. But an IH 430,435,440 or
445 in good working condition will being $1500 to $4000 on a regular basis. I personally would love to have a good working 440/445 baler with the clean sweep pickup but all of them I've seen sell in
what appeared to be good condition have brought in the $4000 range.

I wish I could find these square balers that people are giving away for scrap price but they don't exist in my area. The square bales go to people with small livestock operations or horses. You can
stack square bales in any building and all you need to feed one is your two hands - big rounds require a tractor and loader.

Since small dairying has been in a steady decline here a very usable if not pretty JD 336 can be bought for 1,500 dollars. All kinds of parts available through JD and aftermarket. With this advent the 1960's balers and older were pushed down to scrap price. For 500 bucks more you can get a nice 336 that you can leave in view of the house when your FIL comes over for Sunday dinner.

$200 for parts.

If it worked and had fresh hay in it to show that $500 maybe $1000 in early April. But its not April and it isnt working there is a reason he was tinkering with it....

Unfortunately he might be thinking the working April price...... Id go to the auction this time of year if it were me.

Paul

As long as nothing obvious is bent or
broken on it I would guess it to sell for
600-1300 on auction in northeast iowa.
For comparison a nice jd 336 around here
is still a healthy 4k plus baler if the
owner represents it at auction.

Sounds like the owner(s) think $200.00 isn't out of consideration.

I asked if the long chain guard was around, the plunger is NOT happy to be moved. Couldn't tell what shape the sliders are in but judging from the look inside the chamber I'm guessing not great.

I'm sitting back and waiting, trying to keep my distance. Might end up with it for next to nothing. (Probably near it's value) but thanks for the opinions.

Auction is soon, I'll post the result.

Warren

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back