What is it tool

Picked up this tool at a flea market, don't know what it was for but it looks handy to have. Made out of 5/8 hex stock, only marking is a small 6 stamped into a ground off spot on the side.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8537.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8537.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 181
  • thumbnail_IMG_8536.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8536.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 170
  • thumbnail_IMG_8535.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8535.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 157
  • thumbnail_IMG_8534.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8534.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 153
  • thumbnail_IMG_8533.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8533.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 177
Hard to tell from here, but could be a tool for packing the oakum into cast iron pipe flanges when they're over your head. The lead is poured on over the oakum. unc

Attachments

• 20240311_183040.jpg
    20240311_183040.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 75
You mean lead. They built a dam out of something to hold lead in. I have wondered that for years myself.
I have my late Uncle's tool kit SOMEWHERE with asbestos "ropes" with (as I remember) some sort of clasps that would hold them in place around a horizontal joint leaving a gap at the top onto which molten lead was ladled. He also had gasoline blowtorches and a gasoline fired device to heat the ladles of lead. I remember him using those tools when I was quite young in the mid 60's. Probably not something that will be witnessed by today's kids!

The oakum was in the form of a rope. It's also used to caulk the seems on wooden boats. The oakum would be packed into the seam, then molten lead poured over top to complete the joint. Horizontal joints could be done with a clamp-on dam, or a clay-asbestos putty, known colloquially as "Bear Poop'. That stuff was also used as a dam to cast babbitt bearings. unc

Hard to tell from here, but could be a tool for packing the oakum into cast iron pipe flanges when they're over your head. The lead is poured on over the oakum. unc
I think unc is right, I remember pouring lead around iron pipe joints for septic tank and drain pipes. We never had a tool like that but it would have been handy.

The oakum was in the form of a rope. It's also used to caulk the seems on wooden boats. The oakum would be packed into the seam, then molten lead poured over top to complete the joint. Horizontal joints could be done with a clamp-on dam, or a clay-asbestos putty, known colloquially as "Bear Poop'. That stuff was also used as a dam to cast babbitt bearings. unc
Yep, I have a bunch of that dam material in my shop.
I have used it a lot when pouring bearings.

Would three of those tools be used at the same time to keep the pipe centered in the bell end?
Or is the pipe joint self centering?
I never put any together but I did go with my dad one time that was plumbing a new house sewer line but I was probably 7 or 8 years old.

I think unc is right, I remember pouring lead around iron pipe joints for septic tank and drain pipes. We never had a tool like that but it would have been handy.
I don't think the hook is long enough. The Bell on a 4" soil line is about 2", maybe a bet more. I think you are the right track though.

Would three of those tools be used at the same time to keep the pipe centered in the bell end?
Or is the pipe joint self centering?
I never put any together but I did go with my dad one time that was plumbing a new house sewer line but I was probably 7 or 8 years old.
No, as you "caulk" (hammer in) the Oakum (think hemp rope) into the bell, the "spigot" (male end of the cast iron pipe) is centered. Some of my terms are likely regional, Philadelphia/ Northeast USA.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back