Won't fire.

Totally lost here. 240D, running fine, parked and shut down. 5 hours later go to start and notice decomp lever is a little sticky but moves into decompression position if I bump the starter. Engine turns over, and sounds like it bogs down (like usual) as I release decompression lever so at least some compression. Won't start. Since I needed to adjust decompression lever I adjusted all the valves at the same time. Replaced fuel filter and bled fuel lines, getting fuel all the way to the injector connections. Am getting small puffs of white smoke while cranking so assume its getting fuel? Maybe a stuck rack?Since it cranks well (new battery and starter spins quickly) can I assume there aren't electrical problems? The wiring is pretty hacked from the previous owner but since its always started I haven't changed anything. I've put about 50 hours on it since I rebuilt the top end. New head gasket, rings, and rod bearings. No oil in the over flow or radiator nor water in the oil. Next step to pull the injectors and check compression?
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Sounds like all your trouble started with the decompression lever. I have no idea how you adjusted it so I am attaching a procedure for it. If you did it that way and nothing sticking then maybe something else but if those exhaust valves are being held open a smidgen she ain't going to crank. I don't normally have this problem but for some reason I am unable to attach the instructions. If you already have them then no need.

Some success! I reset all the valves again, just in case, and in cranking it I heard it popping and trying to start. Took about 45-60 seconds of cranking alternating compression/decompression and it finally fired up. It seemed to start very much like before I did the head gasket and rings. I have started it 3-4 times (starts in 2-3 strokes each time since) to observe a few things but am waiting for it to cool to ambient before trying again, not to mention my battery needs a break! Clear exhaust and sounds normal. Or as normal as a 2-cyl. Yanmar can sound. No bubbles in the radiator or over flow bottle. No water in the oil. Had full power, 24-2500 Rpms, and powered the brush mower I still had attached without difficulty.
Couple of stupid questions because I've never needed to know them before. There is a small amount of smoke from one of the decompression adjustment covers on the valve cover. Are they supposed to have gaskets? It looks like they had them in the past? Also, and this will sound really stupid. is there supposed to be pressure in the oil pan while running? I've never checked the oil while running before and while I had it running (about 2K rpms) I unscrewed the dipstick to check for water. It popped out about 6" when I got to the end of the dipstick threads and the tractor started spraying fine drops of oil out the fill hole! Is that the usual action when pulling the dipstick while running? I won't do that again and obviously have never done it before!
Thanks for the help. At least I can get it running for diagnosis now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back