Woods RM59 finish mower

Stroby

I have two Woods RM59 mowers that I use to maintain grass along the roads to my fields in the bottom and some general maintenance on the farm. One is on a smaller tractor that goes under trees and the other is on a larger tractor with larger wheels and rides better. Bought the second one for a parts mower and discovered it was too good to use for just parts. I really like these mowers but when it comes time to take the blades off for sharpening or replacement, it becomes quite a task. I have used two different impact guns but there's always at least one of the bolts that won't rattle off. These are left hand thread, 15/16 bolts that have two bellows washers and one flat washer between the bolt head and the mower blade. I usually end up with a piece of pipe cheater bar on a pipe wrench that I put over the blade to keep it from turning. Then use another pipe cheater bar on a 3/4 breaker bar and a 6 sided impact socket to get these rascals off. Seems like I'm about to pull my guts out before it ever moves. Is there a trick to removing these things that I don't know about. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

I have a RM59-1 for over 40 years and don't have your problem. I do grease every thing when I sharpen the blades.

I have woods mowers too.
Your problem is you are over tightening the blades when you install them.

Woods have friction plates in contact with the blade. The blades are self-tightening if the friction plates don't allow the blade to slip when you hit something.

45-50 #ft of torque.

If that fails, I have put a tiny dab of grease on the friction plate.
I have the bolt threads greased up too.

My JD 48 inch mower deck is the same as a woods mower. DON'T over torque the bolt holding the blade on.

Post back if it works for you.

I've had a Woods L306 (same spindle as yours) for about 30 years, if my memory is correct the spindle calls for 160 ft/lb torque on the bolt. I used to lock the spindle from above with a pipe wrench and use a breaker bar and cheater pipe from below.

I rarely remove the blades anymore , just touch them up with an angle grinder.

Thanks to all for the info. It will be a few months before I have to remove them to sharpen them.....I hope. If I remember, I'll give an update. I re-installed them with a 1/2 breaker bar but not too tight as I know they self tighten. There is oil on the threads and the washers were all cleaned on the wire wheel of my grinder. I have thought about using an angle grinder but i guess I'm still old school and wouldn't be able to assure myself they are balanced using that method. Thanks again everyone.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back