year/month/day/shift code

Fordfarmer

A discussion in a Facebook Ford group says that the unit number type date code was first used on U.S. Fords starting with the 9N, but wasn't used on European Fords/Fordsons until the World models came out in '65.
To the best of my knowledge, '65 was the first use of that date code for U.S. Fords as well... correct?
Im already on thin ice with him, as I disagreed with his statement of "no 5000 or 7000 left the factory with an alternator", so I'm just asking this here... I wont be saying anything one way or the other on that other page.

Better ask your pal why the manufacturers parts catalog offers an alternator to fit on one. CNHI Ford 7000 parts catalog Of course there are guys that say if it isn’t paper it’s not a parts book. I better watch out you might be in that camp. Maybe all the ones in his county were special ordered with generators. Can’t help you on your stamping code break down. If you’re looking for guys that can dig their heels in you came to the right place. Better keep it at that per your Bio.

Yes, that is correct .for assembly dates and whole units. 5000s had generators thru their production. As far as I know all 7000s had Alternators. Yes I seen that post as well.

A discussion in a Facebook Ford group says that the unit number type date code was first used on U.S. Fords starting with the 9N, but wasn't used on European Fords/Fordsons until the World models came out in '65.
To the best of my knowledge, '65 was the first use of that date code for U.S. Fords as well... correct?
Im already on thin ice with him, as I disagreed with his statement of "no 5000 or 7000 left the factory with an alternator", so I'm just asking this here... I wont be saying anything one way or the other on that other page.
I know my 7000 row crop (7200) had a Motorola Alternator on it. I replaced it with a 10SI when the bearings went on it,
I could look on my 1964 4000 for any codes if you could tell me where? Or should I say if HE could tell me where?

As far as I am aware, the pre-1965 US tractors did have assembly and/or casting date codes on some components, but not for the assembly date of the tractor.

British fordsons do have casting date codes, they don’t have unit codes, only a serial no stamped in the engine or clutch housing. The British ford tractors made from 64 up did have unit codes which can be decoded to year month day and shift.

I know my 7000 row crop (7200) had a Motorola Alternator on it. I replaced it with a 10SI when the bearings went on it,
I could look on my 1964 4000 for any codes if you could tell me where? Or should I say if HE could tell me where?
I have a 7100 that my Grandpa bought new... factory equipped with a Motorola alternator.

I saw both of those statements but didn’t want to argue with him
To my knowledge which I consider backed up by the parts and service manuals no 5000 came with an alternator and no 7000 came with a generator
Ford stamped the model into the serial numbers on the 2N thru 8N series and some components had casting date codes
Not sure about the NAA series
Beginning with the hundred series a model code was used along with a serial number
860 would have been a 800 series with 5 spd trans and live pto, this continued thur the -01 series
With the 63-64 thousand series came a new 5 digit number code depicting the model and how it was equipped
Until 65 the serial numbers were reset with each series change except the 61-62 thousand series industrial models, their serial numbers ran concrete with the -01 ag models beginning built at that time
Beginning with the 65 model new model codes, unit year, month, day and shift codes and new serial numbers with manufacturing’s plant codes were introduced, no Ford tractors prior to 65 had unit codes that I have ever seen of heard of
I have seen some early 65-66 European models with odd month, day, year unit codes, I’ve been told that was a habit of some of the workers that used that type code on tractor built prior to 65, but that’s just hear say.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back